An unexpected weapon

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

An unexpected weapon

Postby Anthony Appleyard » 12 Sep 2017, 17:05

http://www.biggles.info/Order/

In that page (about the time order of WEJ's WWI Biggles stories), is:-

"In the book BIGGLES IN FRANCE, the sixth story is ‘Biggles and the Flying Camera’. This is a story where Biggles had made great efforts to shoot down a high flying German aircraft with a camera with a remarkable lens that had taken five years to make. Biggles does shoot the plane down, but the camera is destroyed. "

Shooting down a plane using a camera sounds strange. The "remarkable lens that had taken five years to make" sounds like some energy-concentrating device. Is this a case where a raygun was trying to leak into the scenario? Or what? The wording "shooting down" seems to exclude the meaning "take a photograph".
Anthony Appleyard
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Re: An unexpected weapon

Postby kylie_koyote » 12 Sep 2017, 19:00

Anthony Appleyard wrote:http://www.biggles.info/Order/

In that page (about the time order of WEJ's WWI Biggles stories), is:-

"In the book BIGGLES IN FRANCE, the sixth story is ‘Biggles and the Flying Camera’. This is a story where Biggles had made great efforts to shoot down a high flying German aircraft with a camera with a remarkable lens that had taken five years to make. Biggles does shoot the plane down, but the camera is destroyed. "

Shooting down a plane using a camera sounds strange. The "remarkable lens that had taken five years to make" sounds like some energy-concentrating device. Is this a case where a raygun was trying to leak into the scenario? Or what? The wording "shooting down" seems to exclude the meaning "take a photograph".

I think you're confused because the wording is strange - Biggles isn't shooting down a plane with a camera (i.e., using a camera to shoot down a plane) - he is shooting down a plane that is using a camera. A perfectly reasonable thing to do.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tommy Smith » 13 Sep 2017, 07:59

I rather like this slant on it, I'm going to have to re read it.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Anthony Appleyard » 13 Sep 2017, 13:11

kylie_koyote wrote:
Anthony Appleyard wrote:http://www.biggles.info/Order/
...I think you're confused because the wording is strange - Biggles isn't shooting down a plane with a camera (i.e., using a camera to shoot down a plane) - he is shooting down a plane that is using a camera. A perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Thanks. Uhh, ambiguity strikes again. In "with a camera", "with" can mean "which has" (as intended here), and its antecedent is the German plane; or it could mean "by using", and if so, its antecedent would likeliest be Biggles.

Tommy Smith's signature says "Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?". I agree.
Anthony Appleyard
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Frecks » 13 Sep 2017, 16:14

I can never remember which books TS' quote comes from but I do agree with it too. I have been very confused by the shooting with a camera idea in another WW1 story. It is an unfortunate turn of phrase.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Leo

Postby DrBiggles » 13 Sep 2017, 21:20

Eeek! Thanks for pointing that out! I will correct the wording so as to avoid any future misunderstanding!
DrBiggles
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Kismet » 14 Sep 2017, 11:34

What verb would people use for phootography instead of shoot?

I can see the similarities between shooting with a camera and shooting with a gun:I think there are a lot of parallels.

Shoot is a verb used for quite a range of actions: You can shoot for goal in several games, shoot pool, shoot up heroin and shoot with a gun or a bow and arrow or a camera. You can shoot rapids in a canoe, red lights and to fame. Shoot is also used in a number of idioms: shoot your mouth off, shoot yourself in the foot, shoot down in flames and so on.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Sep 2017, 13:52

They also use "Camera Guns" in at least one WW1 story - but this is just when they replace the gun with a camera, for training purposes, so you can see where your shots would have gone, had they been real bullets and not celluloid. (Kind of like playing laser tag.)
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 14 Sep 2017, 14:14

Kismet wrote:What verb would people use for phootography instead of shoot?

I can see the similarities between shooting with a camera and shooting with a gun:I think there are a lot of parallels.

Shoot is a verb used for quite a range of actions: You can shoot for goal in several games, shoot pool, shoot up heroin and shoot with a gun or a bow and arrow or a camera. You can shoot rapids in a canoe, red lights and to fame. Shoot is also used in a number of idioms: shoot your mouth off, shoot yourself in the foot, shoot down in flames and so on.

Exactly! Also: "shoot the messenger" or "shoot through". :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Return to Pilots Mess