Britain for visitors

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Britain for visitors

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 23 Aug 2017, 17:48

I thought we could all do our own patch to help/warn anyone visiting our own neck of the woods.

Greenwich, south London.
Full of fascinating visitor attractions such as the Cutty Sark, Greenwich Palace and the Maritime Museum. But if you go by car you will never see them as it is impossible to park or, indeed, even stop your car. You will be carried on inexorably in the traffic through Charlton (the land that time forgot), Woolwich and unless you are very strong minded and perhaps driving a tank, you will get funnelled through the Blackwall Tunnel and find yourself in Barking, north London before you can next stop. By now you will be tired, hungry and thirsty but a glance around will show you there is nowhere you want to stop, even if you could. So, in a hunger induced trance, you will drive on and on till you fall off the end of Southend Pier.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy
Starsign: Leo

Re: Britain for visitors

Postby Kismet » 23 Aug 2017, 18:20

West Cumbria.

Very scenic, but you won't see much of it through the rain. Driving is a necessity as public transport is only rumoured to exist, apart from a coastal trainline regularly altered due to landslides (all that rain). Drivers must be confident at reversing into farm gateways to allow cars coming the other direction to pass, and at recognising the different mud depths in the gateways which allow / don't allow traction (rain related again). There are lot of old mines, many of which are located on maps, whilst others announce themselves by re-opening unexpectedly, swallowing up back gardens and school tennis courts. This is sometimes rain related.

Otherwise we have the deepest lake (surprising, with all that rain), the tallest mountain and the smallest church (depending on how these things are measured) in England. There is the World's Biggest Liar contest, gurning and an impenetrable local dialect closer to a Scandinavian language than English.

I'm an hour (at least) from the nearest motorway, and can see the Isle of Man and Scotland on the few days when there isn't moisture in the air blocking the view. Come and visit!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 23 Aug 2017, 20:13

I've heard of the dialect.My lads used to stay with a friend who had a holiday cottage there, and once the next door farmer talked to them for a long time, and they had no idea whatsoever what he was saying. Being reasonably polite they were very embarrassed. Also one did suddenly disappeared into a hole while out walking, much to his brother's mirth.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 24 Aug 2017, 00:23

I still have trouble understanding the local farmers and I've lived here twenty five years now.
There's a story, true I believe, of a local billeted with a family in Norway during the war. They had enough words in common to understand each other. I'm not surprised your sons struggled, efr. I hope he wasn't trying to tell them anything important about bulls or mineshafts....
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby tiffinata » 24 Aug 2017, 01:27

Ohhhh!!! Greenwich!
Master 10 is insisting we go there as Captain Arthur Phillip, first Governor of Australia went to school here.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Fairblue » 24 Aug 2017, 01:58

tiffinata wrote:Ohhhh!!! Greenwich!
Master 10 is insisting we go there as Captain Arthur Phillip, first Governor of Australia went to school here.

That's somewhere where I want to go, too.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 24 Aug 2017, 06:53

What a brilliant idea, EFR :claphappy:

I think I can reasonably confidently affirm that I've experienced a fair few of your suggestions as well as Kismet's neck of the woods.

We loved our cruise down the Thames to the Barrier and then to Greenwich a few years ago. But I love wandering around London.

Actually, I just love visiting the UK - so much history. Not to mention the challenge of trying to understand local versions of the mother tongue :?
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Spitfire666 » 24 Aug 2017, 08:54

This is a brilliant idea, EFR; I hope to see enough to make up The BigglesForum Travel Guide to Britain... - or maybe more, like the Michelin only better :!:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 24 Aug 2017, 09:10

Greenwich is fascinating, one could easily spend a couple of days there, but go by public transport.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Tracer » 24 Aug 2017, 13:17

West Sussex.

Small aerodromes such as Shoreham and Goodwood, quite a large one at Gatwick. RAF Museum at Tangmere. If you want to cross the border into Surrey, Redhill aerodrome. Probably quite a lot more on offer, but I'm not firing on all cylinders today!
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Frecks » 24 Aug 2017, 14:30

Tiff will need to stay for a couple of months with Master 10 to see all these places :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 24 Aug 2017, 17:41

One place Master 10 need not visit is Hither Green,SE London, in spite of it's attractive name. Visualise "swinging London", Julie Christie, the Kinks, Biba, Mary Quant and then try to fit Hither Green into your vision. It cannot be done. No-one told them about swinging London, and no-one has bothered them much since. Something exciting may have happened once, but they've forgotten it. I could say "understated charm" but I'm wary of the Trades Descriptions Act, so I won't. Similarly "architectural triumph" . I got lost there, driving around for nearly an hour one morning when I'd been working there for about 3 months, because it all looks alike, and even by my very poor standards of direction location, this was disconcerting.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Tracer » 25 Aug 2017, 08:51

I answered from an aviation point of view, but to open the remit: West Sussex is full of wonderful child-friendly places and events. Jousting at Arundel Castle (jousters come from all over the world to compete) the Open Air Museum at Singleton, which is a collection of old dwellings set up as they used to be used in days gone by, including a wonderful Tudor farmhouse and kitchen garden and an old schoolhouse, and a working farm with horse-drawn machinery plus the horses and rare breed poultry, pigs and cattle, two lots of Roman settlements that host Roman days (we met a very affable Centurion who obligingly explained his costume and weapons - he looked very incongruous in the cafe later!) - with genuine mosaics and relics, lots of beaches of varying appeal, the glorious South Downs, loads of woods in the Weald that are open to the public, and more museums and stately homes than you can shake a stick at.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Biggles266 » 25 Aug 2017, 22:52

This is a great idea - my wife and I are going to be in London for a week in April 2018 then Kent, Essex, Cambridgeshire and Suffolk for another week. We are looking at 'interesting' places to visit so I am intrigued as to what you will all suggest. If any of the Forum are in those areas it would be good to catch up.

Ian
Biggles266
-

Postby Spitfire666 » 26 Aug 2017, 15:59

When in April will you be here, Biggles266? Maybe you could get to the Twyford meeting on 14th April. There will be several Forum members there. 8-)
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 26 Aug 2017, 19:55

In Kent I'm very fond of Broadstairs. It's like going back to 1950. Rochester is worth a visit, especially if you like Dickens. It' got a cathedral and a castle and is small enough to take in in a couple of hours.
Sussex- you should go to Rye. Lots of lovely old houses. Hastings, espeially the old town, is worth a visit.
Do you have any special interests (apart from Biggles)?
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Biggles266 » 03 Sep 2017, 08:31

I will be able to make it to Twyford! Checked and it fits in with the timetable. Will be great to see Forum members and other aficionados. I used to organize get-togethers in Christchurch NZ but we have not had one in a number of years.
We are history graduates so keen to see museums and buildings, while my wife is lay member of the Benedictine order so will attempt to see monasteries. The Imperial Was Museum Duxford is on the must visit list, as is Colchester, Cambridge and Canterbury.
Biggles266
-

Postby Fairblue » 03 Sep 2017, 10:20

Biggles266 wrote:I will be able to make it to Twyford! Checked and it fits in with the timetable. .

Looking forward to seeing you there. :bounce:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Spitfire666 » 03 Sep 2017, 11:26

Biggles266 wrote:I will be able to make it to Twyford! Checked and it fits in with the timetable. Will be great to see Forum members and other aficionados.

That's great :D Would like to give a talk as well 8-)

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Return to Pilots Mess