Hairdressers

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Hairdressers

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 06 May 2016, 16:03

Having just returned from the hairdressers (a rare event but there's a posh family wedding tomorrow) there was a young man there (unisex place) earnestly showing the stylist photos of his intended hair cut and discussing it at length. It made me think, I bet Biggles never did that. Then I couldn't remember any instances of their going to the barbers. Obviously they did.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy
Starsign: Leo

Re: Hairdressers

Postby Kismet » 06 May 2016, 16:22

I can't recall any instances, either, and yet it is exactly the sort of situation that WEJ would use to start off a story. There's an RPG in this idea somewhere.

My hairdresser is a lovely young man whose hairstyle and colour changes much more frequently than mine. He has the rather endearing habit of blowing hair from the back of my neck (this did, indeed, startle me the first time it occurred, but I am accustomed to it now). He also stands across my knees, holds a piece of hair in each hand and closes his eyes as he assesses if both sides are the same length. There is something rather zen like about this, especially if I, also, have my eyes shut as he has a habit of suddenly checking whilst cutting my fringe.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 May 2016, 16:46

I dimly recall (though admit that it might be a false memory from a fanfic or a dream) that Biggles, or one of them, after a harrowing adventure in the back of beyond says something along the lines of "a trip to the barber's wouldn't do me any harm."

I'm fully prepared to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than I in such matters.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tracer » 06 May 2016, 18:31

There was only one hairstyle - short back and sides. Brylcreem optional. 8-)
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 May 2016, 18:33

What's-his-name. Canson. Has an artificial wave and Biggles mocks him for it.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Tommy Smith » 06 May 2016, 19:24

I was aways a bit disturbed by the fact that when one of the team disappeared for a few weeks due to some misadventure when they were discovered it was always with unkempt beard and long and tangled hair or something similar. Just how fast was it growing?
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 06 May 2016, 19:53

Tommy Smith wrote:I was aways a bit disturbed by the fact that when one of the team disappeared for a few weeks due to some misadventure when they were discovered it was always with unkempt beard and long and tangled hair or something similar. Just how fast was it growing?

Maybe the word 'long' was subjective. According to Mr FB his hair is long if it touches his collar. In a world where short hair for men was virtually mandatory any growth that went below the tops of the ears would be considered long. We know Gimlet was fond of telling Copper to get his hair cut.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby archie » 06 May 2016, 20:41

Fairblue wrote:
Tommy Smith wrote:I was aways a bit disturbed by the fact that when one of the team disappeared for a few weeks due to some misadventure when they were discovered it was always with unkempt beard and long and tangled hair or something similar. Just how fast was it growing?

Maybe the word 'long' was subjective. According to Mr FB his hair is long if it touches his collar. In a world where short hair for men was virtually mandatory any growth that went below the tops of the ears would be considered long. We know Gimlet was fond of telling Copper to get his hair cut.

I'm with Mr FB on the subject of long hair. What I don't understand is why my hairdresser always charges me ladies prices for what is essentially a boys haircut. The barber was cheaper, but my mother threatened not to let me in the house the next time I came home wearing Brylcreem... :oops:
archie
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: That would be favouritism...

Postby Kismet » 06 May 2016, 20:56

Fairblue wrote:Maybe the word 'long' was subjective. According to Mr FB his hair is long if it touches his collar. In a world where short hair for men was virtually mandatory any growth that went below the tops of the ears would be considered long. We know Gimlet was fond of telling Copper to get his hair cut.

I shall be the lone voice liking long hair on men, as long as it is clean and styled. (I feel that I ought to put the proviso in screaming red emboldened capitals.) It was a sad day when my son rejected the long, shaggy, surfer dude haircuts that I chose for him when young and started taking himself to the barber's for a short back and sides.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 06 May 2016, 20:59

I don't mind long hair on men as long as Kismet says, it's clean and styled. But I would also add the rider -if it suits them.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby archie » 06 May 2016, 21:04

I don't mind long hair on men with the provisos you state,Kismet and FB. I just mind it on me!
archie
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: That would be favouritism...

Postby tiffinata » 06 May 2016, 23:00

It's rare I go to a hairdresser these days.I can't see the point unless I need it styled. And the prices! Usually trim it myself.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Isaac Reed » 07 May 2016, 01:57

I just got a hair cut to-day. Short back and sides though at one time I had it long. Long really looked scary on me.
'There's nobody more cunning than a fellow out of his mind' - Biggles Breaks the Silence
Isaac Reed
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Biggles and the Black Peril
Reading now: Biggles Flies West
Reading next: Biggles in the Orient
My top chap: Bertie
Starsign: Aquarius
Aircraft: Airco DH.2 and DH Vampire

Postby Babanango » 07 May 2016, 02:10

When I was with the Naval Reserve, I had to show up in uniform one weekend a month for "drill". In between I would let the beard grow, then shave it off prior to drill. Four weeks can give a pretty full beard. Depends on the beard I guess.
“Never play your trump cards too soon. No, by Jove!”
Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Terai
Reading now: Mystic Voices
Reading next: ?
My top chap: Dickpa
Aircraft: P-40B Tomahawk

Postby Tracer » 07 May 2016, 09:26

I'm happy with long hair/beards on men, as long as it's clean and suits the face it surrounds. By 'short back and sides' I was referring to men in the Biggles era. 8-) Sorry - should have made that clear.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Return to Pilots Mess