Wedding Help Please

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Wedding Help Please

Postby Hutch » 05 Oct 2015, 11:39

Hello all.

So, I’m a new member and starting to get back in touch with the Biggles books. Haven’t read one for a few years but spent many happy days reading them and then playing at being a pilot back in the day.

Essentially, I’m getting married in a few weeks and one of the touches we are having is table names based on famous literary duos’. Holmes and Watson, Winston and Julia, Biggles and Von Stalheim, etc. Yes, Biggles would perhaps be better with his chums but we’re keeping it to two names only per table.

So what I’d like to do is draw on the wisdom and familiarity with the books of those here present to provide a quote which will accompany the table. Something about friendship, comradeship, maybe even love. Doesn't have to be too serious or part of a conversation between the two names, but something which will meet the criteria and – hopefully – make clear why those two names from so many peoples childhood are present at my wedding.

I hope you can help.
Hutch
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Re: Wedding Help Please

Postby Frecks » 05 Oct 2015, 11:45

Hi Hutch - yes we can help just hang on while we find a suitable quote - there are not too many between Biggles and EVS as they were deadly enemies for most of the books. If you happened to want to use Biggles and Algy there would be more scope for a phrase or saying.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Oct 2015, 11:52

Hutch wrote:Essentially, I’m getting married in a few weeks and one of the touches we are having is table names based on famous literary duos’. Holmes and Watson, Winston and Julia, Biggles and Von Stalheim, etc. Yes, Biggles would perhaps be better with his chums but we’re keeping it to two names only per table.

So what I’d like to do is draw on the wisdom and familiarity with the books of those here present to provide a quote which will accompany the table. Something about friendship, comradeship, maybe even love. Doesn't have to be too serious or part of a conversation between the two names, but something which will meet the criteria and – hopefully – make clear why those two names from so many peoples childhood are present at my wedding.

What a marvellous idea! I take it you and your lady are working together on this? I would be interested to know what the final result of all of these looks like.
There are many quotes you could use. There is a nice one from von Stalhein:
"They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team."
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Oct 2015, 11:52

Oh what a lovely idea. I shall think on this today and see what I can come up with.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frecks » 05 Oct 2015, 12:08

What about the actual exchange when they meet in & Co. and tell each other what they reported to their HQs after Flies East?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2015, 12:25

Spitfire666 wrote:
Hutch wrote:Essentially, I’m getting married in a few weeks and one of the touches we are having is table names based on famous literary duos’. Holmes and Watson, Winston and Julia, Biggles and Von Stalheim, etc. Yes, Biggles would perhaps be better with his chums but we’re keeping it to two names only per table.

What a marvellous idea! I take it you and your lady are working together on this? I would be interested to know what the final result of all of these looks like.
There are many quotes you could use. There is a nice one from von Stalhein:
"They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team."

Indeed S666...exactly what I would have suggested, as it is my own preferred 'byline', lol. Perhaps there is a shorter EvS versus Biggles quip someone can find though? :D

P.S. Welcome to the forum Hutch!!
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2015, 12:36

Frecks wrote:What about the actual exchange when they meet in & Co. and tell each other what they reported to their HQs after Flies East?

Do you have the actual quote, Frecks?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2015, 12:41

Hutch wrote:Hello all.

So, I’m a new member and starting to get back in touch with the Biggles books. Haven’t read one for a few years but spent many happy days reading them and then playing at being a pilot back in the day.

Essentially, I’m getting married in a few weeks and one of the touches we are having is table names based on famous literary duos’. Holmes and Watson, Winston and Julia, Biggles and Von Stalheim, etc. Yes, Biggles would perhaps be better with his chums but we’re keeping it to two names only per table.

I hope you can help.

A super idea and a first for the forum, I think. I'm sure we'll come up with something. I like the one which our Kismet uses as her signature :

Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Oct 2015, 12:45

OzBiggles1963 wrote:Indeed S666...exactly what I would have suggested, as it is my own preferred 'byline', lol. Perhaps there is a shorter EvS versus Biggles quip someone can find though? :D

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that. I was going to edit my message, but you got there before me!
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2015, 12:49

Spitfire666 wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:Indeed S666...exactly what I would have suggested, as it is my own preferred 'byline', lol. Perhaps there is a shorter EvS versus Biggles quip someone can find though? :D

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that. I was going to edit my message, but you got there before me!

That's Ok...actually I quite prefer FB's suggestion, as it's a much shorter quote & very droll, lol. :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Oct 2015, 13:11

OzBiggles1963 wrote:That's Ok...actually I quite prefer FB's suggestion, as it's a much shorter quote & very droll, lol. :D

Yes, I love FB's suggestion too. It does not actually show love between them, but is very droll!

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 05 Oct 2015, 13:13

I was trying to remember exactly what Biggles said to EvS in Buries the Hatchet: the bit about affection. The boggart's hidden my copy, though, so until it surfaces I can't look up the reference.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2015, 13:17

Kismet wrote:I was trying to remember exactly what Biggles said to EvS in Buries the Hatchet: the bit about affection. The boggart's hidden my copy, though, so until it surfaces I can't look up the reference.

Is this it?

EVS speaking to Biggles :

‘Are you asking me to believe you took the appalling risk of coming here to rescue me simply out of — shall we say — sympathy, or affection?’
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 05 Oct 2015, 13:22

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:I was trying to remember exactly what Biggles said to EvS in Buries the Hatchet: the bit about affection. The boggart's hidden my copy, though, so until it surfaces I can't look up the reference.

Is this it?

EVS speaking to Biggles :

‘Are you asking me to believe you took the appalling risk of coming here to rescue me simply out of — shall we say — sympathy, or affection?’

Yes. thank you. It's a wedding. Affection ought to be involved....
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Oct 2015, 13:46

"Love"-ly quote from Condor:

He knew he was about to make the most important landing of his life, a landing where the least mistake could have disastrous consequences, not only to himself, but to those he loved best in the world.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Oct 2015, 14:30

kylie_koyote wrote:"Love"-ly quote from Condor:

He knew he was about to make the most important landing of his life, a landing where the least mistake could have disastrous consequences, not only to himself, but to those he loved best in the world.

That is marvellous. Anyone who sneers at Johns' writing should be made to read that. How simply and clearly he shows Biggles' feelings. :yay:

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Oct 2015, 14:33

By the way, Hutch, don't forget to let us know which one you use. It does sound really lovely. :yay:

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 05 Oct 2015, 14:57

There's a Biggles / Algy quote in Delivers the Goods:

'without comradeship, a war would be hard to fight, and while he was not prepared to jeopardise his mission to save anyone, least of all himself, he was not prepared to let Algy go without making a desperate effort to save him.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Frecks » 05 Oct 2015, 16:14

I think possibly for a wedding it might be more appropriate to have something upbeat and cheerful. It would be difficult to find any affection between EVS and Biggles. Was there any kindness in Looks Back? I know EVS said he had hoped Marie would marry him before Biggles came along. Really affection in Biggles books is very hard to find as they were the strong, silent types. Of course there were a couple of "handshake" moments between Biggles and Algy but they did not have much dialogue.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Oct 2015, 16:50

Looks Back has some good love-y quotes. Have you read that one, Hutch?

Biggles and EVS at dinner in the first chapter:

The German shook his head. “That isn’t the real reason why you remember her. A man doesn’t easily forget his first love — particularly when it is born within the sound of cannon fire.”

Of course, there's Marie's letter to Biggles, originally found in Camels, which he quotes to EVS in Looks Back:

Our destinies are not always in our own hands. Tonight I came to take you away or die with you, but you were not here. Remember always that if there is one thing true in this world of war and lies it is my love for you. That may help you as it helps me. My last thought will be of you.

Then, there's Algy and Ginger talking about Biggles after Biggles goes off to find EVS:

As the door closed behind him Ginger said to Algy: “Was he really in love with this girl?”
“From what I can see of it he still is,” returned Algy grimly.

:love: :sigh4:
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 05 Oct 2015, 16:53

Yes they are lovely quotes KK.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 05 Oct 2015, 17:00

'Knowing what we have been to each other in the past, sir, don't you think we are entitled to some explanation?' pressed Algy

'I shan't sleep at night until I know what happened to Biggles.'

'Biggles happens to be my best friend. Apart from which he is one one the most valuable officers in the service. Surely it's worth going to some trouble to try to get him back'

All from Fails to Return
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Frecks » 05 Oct 2015, 17:15

Yes those are very good quotes too.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 06 Oct 2015, 10:54

Frodo to Sam
"I am glad you are here with me"
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby Frecks » 06 Oct 2015, 15:45

Very nice but not quite EVS and Biggles :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Hutch » 06 Oct 2015, 20:16

Hi all.

Wow, thanks for the suggestions so far. Really nice to see.

I should say that it does not have to be a Biggles and Von S quote specifically. Any quote around companionship, friendship, etc would be good. It's been so long since I read most of them but bits and pieces coming back to me now.

Frodo and Sam! That would have been a good pairing as well.
Hutch
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Fairblue » 06 Oct 2015, 20:41

Biggles says this of Algy in Takes Charge when they are waiting for him to return to pick them up.

‘If there’s one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won’t go home without us,’ returned Biggles, curtly. ‘We don’t leave each other in the lurch, whatever happens.’
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 07 Oct 2015, 09:45

Watson, about Holmes

I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as a great brain
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby J349 » 07 Oct 2015, 20:29

What a wizard idea! Bit difficult to find one single quote which encapsulates Biggles. Well impossible really. I suppose you want one with Biggles the main focus... I like the one by EVS about Biggles & co. being a formidable team. That might do the trick. You may have noticed some forum members have quotes in there signatures.
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm

Return to Pilots Mess