The Chat Thread

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: The Chat Thread

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Apr 2018, 18:12

Ouch! I hope you are ok now and it was only temporary.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Apr 2018, 18:25

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:Happily sitting in the first sun of the year, when a screwdriver fell on my head from the workman on next door's roof. It hurt.

Ouch, I hope you are okay?
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Apr 2018, 18:51

Did you manage to summon up any oaths, such as we have been discussing elsewhere?
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 05 Apr 2018, 22:27

If I knew any east European languages I would have discussed (!) the affair with them. As it is, I'll have to complain to the neighbours when they're back from their holiday, having lost the project manager's card in the Great Cleaning that followed the aforesaid neighbours removal of the chimney breasts in their house last week which somehow leaked clouds of soot and dust into ours, via previously harmless gaps in our Victorian fireplace. Not to mention, of course, the sawing, hammering, drilling.clanging, lack of parking due to skips and builder's vans.
"Happy Bunny" doesn't quite describe my state of mind
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy
Starsign: Leo

Postby Fairblue » 05 Apr 2018, 22:41

I hope you charged them for the cleaning, EFR.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Kismet » 06 Apr 2018, 00:53

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:If I knew any east European languages I would have discussed (!) the affair with them. As it is, I'll have to complain to the neighbours when they're back from their holiday, having lost the project manager's card in the Great Cleaning that followed the aforesaid neighbours removal of the chimney breasts in their house last week which somehow leaked clouds of soot and dust into ours, via previously harmless gaps in our Victorian fireplace. Not to mention, of course, the sawing, hammering, drilling.clanging, lack of parking due to skips and builder's vans.

If you wish for a translation, please forward to me, and I will pass onto my fluent enough to be mistaken for a native Russian speaking daughter who has many Eastern European friends and a Czech speaking friend. Between them they should be able to translate what was said and proffer advice on suitable replies.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tommy Smith » 06 Apr 2018, 06:28

You have my sympathy EFR. Quite hilarious how all these events choose to happen at once. Under the weather having had my car rammed by a kiddie driving his employers pick up, builders started beating seven bells out of the venerable listed building attached to mine, club hammers, pneumatic drills, the lot, trying to remove all trace of history by the sound of it for the new owners. This damaged my chimney with smoke seeping out through the thatch and I spent a -15 winter pretty much without heating or transport. Ah, the joy of betting on which tool they would use next. Just ask yourself... What would Dolores do?

Hope they are putting the approved beam in to support the remaining chimney stack, it has been known...

FB I might take you up on your lingo service for the Polish for 'Don't even think of doing that'.
Last edited by Tommy Smith on 06 Apr 2018, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 06 Apr 2018, 06:30

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:If I knew any east European languages I would have discussed (!) the affair with them. As it is, I'll have to complain to the neighbours when they're back from their holiday, having lost the project manager's card in the Great Cleaning that followed the aforesaid neighbours removal of the chimney breasts in their house last week which somehow leaked clouds of soot and dust into ours, via previously harmless gaps in our Victorian fireplace. Not to mention, of course, the sawing, hammering, drilling.clanging, lack of parking due to skips and builder's vans.

Good grief :x Reminds me of a friend of mine, her neighbours' workmen just chucked everying into her garden when they worked on the house next door to her - including the bath :!: I hope the neighbours are back soon, efr.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby CaptWilks » 06 Apr 2018, 06:58

The immersion was quite realistic which was impressive.

There is a Cyclone Tracy exhibit which has a room you can stand in to experience what it would have sounded like. Some people who experienced Tracy are unable to go in it because of their memory of what it was like.

I haven't been for a while, so I am just assuming it is still there.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Tracer » 06 Apr 2018, 08:59

Hope you are recovered now, EFR. I also hope you got a decent apology. Some things don't need translating.

Having had to endure 8 months of building work from next door a few years ago, which included going through the water main twice (I think they know where it is now) and the taking down of a shared wall which left our dogs loose.......sympathy and empathy. Might be worth a chat with your house insurers too.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Frecks » 06 Apr 2018, 16:40

Mr. Frecks has just spilt a brand new tin of gloss paint all over the spare bedroom floor when he was just about to paint the dolls house basement we bought at the weekend :o
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Apr 2018, 16:44

Oh no!!!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 06 Apr 2018, 16:51

Has Mr Frecks been banished to the naughty step? I hope he had cloths down.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 06 Apr 2018, 17:24

I once left my toddler twins alone while I answered the phone. I had just started painting their bedroom wall (blue) where they'd carefully picked off the wall paper by their beds. On returning to the hall I was confronted by two rows of blue footprints that lead all round the hall and up the stairs. With some foreboding I followed this trail to our bedroom, to find two small completely blue figures cheerfully looking at our bed where they'd upended the tin of paint over the bed and Mr EFR's best suit which had been carefully laid out there.
My feelings are best left to the imagination.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 06 Apr 2018, 17:58

My daughter spilt acrylic paint over our dining room carpet. Thank goodness for insurance.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Kismet » 06 Apr 2018, 18:14

What is it with toddler sons, EFR? I once became aware that I hadn't seen my playgroup aged son for a few minutes (he had the gift of making you think he was present when he wasn't) and my search revealed him in the garage, where he had decided he needed a small coil of hosepipe lodged in the rafters. He constructed a very ingenious method of hooking a garden tool into the hose, constructing and attaching a small platform at its base and was in the process of weighting the platform with a tin of paint to pull the hose down when I walked in. Needless to say, his platform wasn't stable, the tin of paint fell off, the lid came off the paint.....

I asked him why he hadn't asked me to reach it down for him and he replied that it was more fun his way.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 06 Apr 2018, 21:52

I knew twins who decided it would be fun to jump off the shed roof and catch the washing line in their teeth. Thank goodness they missed, as it would have broken their necks. As it was, they just broke an arm each
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 06 Apr 2018, 22:04

How most boys survive their childhood is a mystery to me. I found that girls weren't cleaner or more cowardly than boys, but they did seem to think things through a little more thoroughly.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 06 Apr 2018, 23:52

Kismet wrote:What is it with toddler sons, EFR?

When son No2 was about 18 months old, I had placed him in Mr RSG's care in the garage whilst I tackled the housework upstairs unmolested (older two kiddies were at school). After some time I came downstairs, opened the door to the garage and was quite puzzled by some black marks trailing along the side of my car. I cautiously made my way past the car, calling out to son and Mr RSG, wondering where they were. Simultaneously, the following happened: I looked through the open back garage door to see my neighbour staring in absolute disbelief at a small black moving object, Mr RSG appeared calling out for son, and I realised small object in back yard was toddler son who had covered himself in tyre black (conveniently left open on the floor beside my car by Mr RSG when he went to clean the brush in the laundry). No2 son had tipped the tin of tyre black over his head, and unable to regain entry to the carpeted floor of the house had toddled outside, crying for help. I won't bore you with the clean-up and aftermath :lol: :lol:

Somewhere I have the photos to prove it - proudly shown at son's 21st celebrations :yay:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby id_ten_it » 07 Apr 2018, 01:45

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Kismet wrote:What is it with toddler sons, EFR?

When son No2 was about 18 months old, I had placed him in Mr RSG's care in the garage whilst I tackled the housework upstairs unmolested (older two kiddies were at school). After some time I came downstairs, opened the door to the garage and was quite puzzled by some black marks trailing along the side of my car. I cautiously made my way past the car, calling out to son and Mr RSG, wondering where they were. Simultaneously, the following happened: I looked through the open back garage door to see my neighbour staring in absolute disbelief at a small black moving object, Mr RSG appeared calling out for son, and I realised small object in back yard was toddler son who had covered himself in tyre black (conveniently left open on the floor beside my car by Mr RSG when he went to clean the brush in the laundry). No2 son had tipped the tin of tyre black over his head, and unable to regain entry to the carpeted floor of the house had toddled outside, crying for help. I won't bore you with the clean-up and aftermath :lol: :lol:

Somewhere I have the photos to prove it - proudly shown at son's 21st celebrations :yay:

You can not make this stuff up!!!
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Reading last: Poems by the Anzacs
Reading now: Hidden Figures
My top chap: Sir Keith Park
Aircraft: TSR-2

Postby Spitfire666 » 07 Apr 2018, 06:39

Richmal Crompton used to say there was never any problem thinking up 'Just William' stories because there was an unending supply of small boys among her family and friends.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 07 Apr 2018, 09:06

They never told me till they were grown up, but my twins invented a game where one would run through the hall and the other would lean over the banisters on the landing and try to drop a dart on him. Once one embedded itself into no.1 twin's skull and they had an anxious debate about whether to tell me or not.
Being logical,they decided that there only a chance he would be permanently harmed where- as there was a certainty that I would go ballistic. So they opted for the probability.
He seems OK. Got a 1st,anyway.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 07 Apr 2018, 09:44

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:They never told me till they were grown up...

Oh yes!! The tales we've been told over recent years. Sometimes I wonder if I was actually living in the same house as my extremely inventive offspring. :crazy:

No 2 son, when in his teens, spent a great deal of time contemplating the possibility of jumping off the back verandah (upstairs) into the swimming pool. To this day I'm not entirely convinced that he didn't attempt it...
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 07 Apr 2018, 10:07

Did you ever come home and find he'd mysteriously broken both his legs?
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Tracer » 07 Apr 2018, 10:57

Mr. T. is of the opinion that children should be kept in barrels and just hosed out once a week. Reading this, I'm inclined to agree.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 07 Apr 2018, 11:26

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:They never told me till they were grown up, but my twins invented a game where one would run through the hall and the other would lean over the banisters on the landing and try to drop a dart on him. Once one embedded itself into no.1 twin's skull and they had an anxious debate about whether to tell me or not.
Being logical,they decided that there only a chance he would be permanently harmed where- as there was a certainty that I would go ballistic. So they opted for the probability.
He seems OK. Got a 1st,anyway.

Deja vu with the workman?
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 07 Apr 2018, 11:40

Mine made guns from knex and elastic bands left by the postman, using patterns from the internet. We had a long hall and he used to fire at a coke can at the far end. Beyond warning him not to fire at the cat or hit a window, I didn't pay much attention until the day I found his missiles were actually going through the can.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 07 Apr 2018, 12:36

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:Did you ever come home and find he'd mysteriously broken both his legs?

:lol: :lol: :lol: No - would have been a bit of a give away, wouldn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 07 Apr 2018, 14:05

Wow, I was a boring and compliant child by comparison.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 07 Apr 2018, 21:09

kylie_koyote wrote:Wow, I was a boring and compliant child by comparison.

And I'm not going to say a thing about chlorine & brake fluid & resultant explosions (& scorched earth in the front yard that required some, ah, explanation)...shhh!! :o
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Mess