Nazis on the run

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Nazis on the run

Postby J349 » 24 Mar 2015, 21:53

Perhaps this is a more general discussion; but I wonder if von Schonbeck, Dr. Liebgarten or any other Nazis on the run, heard of or visited this place:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ungle.html
Fascinating that they're still finding this stuff today. What else remains to be discovered?

The article mentions that the Argentine government welcomed many Nazis. Does anyone know what their motives for doing so were? Did the 'Argie-Bargies' hate us that much even back then? why?
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm
My top chap: Biggles

Re: Nazis on the run

Postby tiffinata » 24 Mar 2015, 22:20

Something stirs in my memory- Weren't there already German towns in Argentina prior to the war? Did I see something about them on one of Michael Palin's shows?
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Fairblue » 24 Mar 2015, 22:23

This might shed some light on the matter.

http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/o ... ar-Two.htm
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 25 Mar 2015, 10:37

Two very interesting articles. thanks for posting them, J349 ad FB.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 25 Mar 2015, 11:15

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Two very interesting articles. thanks for posting them, J349 ad FB.

Ditto...fascinating! In fact, only the last couple of days I have been reading about the U-Boats that surrendered in Argentinian waters after the capitulation of Germany, & while many conspiracy theories abounded at the time [including the farcical & fanciful 'Antarctica' Nazi base story], I imagine many were just delivering high ranking, wealthy Nazis to settle post-war etc.

U-530 surrendered on 10-7-45, & U-977 on 17-8-45...Wikipedia has more facts, but there are so many conspiracy theories.

I've even read some unsubstantiated myth about a fleet of u-Boats going to Argentina with gold, Nazi treasures & officials, but it's so hard to separate fact from fiction after all this time...some really deluded people have even said Hitler escaped to Argentina, but i don't believe that for a second.
Last edited by OzBiggles1963 on 26 Mar 2015, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Mar 2015, 11:20

Fascinating. It makes more sense to me now that a number of the post-war Biggles stories involved Nazis in South America.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby HostileCacti » 25 Mar 2015, 19:51

kylie_koyote wrote:Fascinating. It makes more sense to me now that a number of the post-war Biggles stories involved Nazis in South America.

It's cool the way knowing the historical context makes a novel even more enlightening, don't you think? :booky:
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Pigs can fly
Reading now: Biggles and the Pirate Treasure
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Random: Tea & biscuits

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 26 Mar 2015, 12:04

OzBiggles1963 wrote:...some really deluded people have even said Hitler escaped to Argentina, but i don't believe that for a second.

So...you don't believe in "The Boys from Brazil"? :D
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 26 Mar 2015, 12:46

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:...some really deluded people have even said Hitler escaped to Argentina, but i don't believe that for a second.

So...you don't believe in "The Boys from Brazil"? :D

Ah yes, great movie starring Gregory Peck as a very nasty Nazi if memory serves, lol.

P.S. But for truly bizarre [& incorporating the whole 'Nazis on the moon' conspiracy theory] one only has to watch this B-grade, campy & extremely black comedy from 2012, a guilty pleasure of mine I have to say, :? :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/?ref_=nv_sr_1
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 26 Mar 2015, 14:52

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:So...you don't believe in "The Boys from Brazil"? :D

OzBiggles1963 wrote:Ah yes, great movie starring Gregory Peck as a very nasty Nazi if memory serves, lol.

P.S. But for truly bizarre [& incorporating the whole 'Nazis on the moon' conspiracy theory] one only has to watch this B-grade, campy & extremely black comedy from 2012, a guilty pleasure of mine I have to say, :? :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Never heard of that before. Must keep an eye out for it,
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Tommy Smith » 26 Mar 2015, 15:59

I stumbled on that looking for Paulo Lutini's Iron Sky ft Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator speech.
It looked great, in a bad way.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 27 Mar 2015, 17:32

Even 'better' was 'Nazis At The Center Of The Earth', a truly mind boggling mix of gory horror, weird sci-fi and crazy humour produced by The Asylum, the company famous for such mockbusters as 'Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies', 'Transmorphers', 'Sharknado' etc.
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby tiffinata » 27 Mar 2015, 23:33

Our newspaper now has TV. One of the documentaries is about hunting nazis, and another about people who collaborated with them.
I'm not sure if it can be viewed outside Australia- let me know.

http://www.theage.com.au/tv/History/show/Nazi-Hunters-5000515.html
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 28 Mar 2015, 07:17

Crazy Man Michael wrote:Even 'better' was 'Nazis At The Center Of The Earth', a truly mind boggling mix of gory horror, weird sci-fi and crazy humour produced by The Asylum, the company famous for such mockbusters as 'Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies', 'Transmorphers', 'Sharknado' etc.

Oh no!!...starring Jake Busey [who u say??...son of the man with the gleaming teeth & maniacal grin of a plethora of Hollywood B-action action movies from the 80's etc...yup, Gary Busey himself]. :mrgreen:

Ahh, good ol' Asylum...the truly low budget, copycat movie company that will rip-off any blockbuster movie [The Day The Earth Stopped, Meteor Apocalypse, Mega Python V Gatoroid, Megashark V Crocosaurus anyone??] Abysmal movies in a very bad kind of way, although occasionally i have watched one of their movies for a good laugh. :? :lol:

Iron Sky [2012] is a fan financed movie & actually premiered in...yes, you guessed it, Berlin! :shock:

P.S. But for the absolute worst Nazi, time-travel themed, zero special effects, far-fetched, Z-grade actor-fest, nothing imho can beat 2012's 'The 25th Reich', & I have the misfortune to say it was actually made in Australia...do not watch this movie unless u are a raving masochist, lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1931551/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 28 Mar 2015, 07:27

tiffinata wrote:Our newspaper now has TV. One of the documentaries is about hunting nazis, and another about people who collaborated with them.
I'm not sure if it can be viewed outside Australia- let me know.

http://www.theage.com.au/tv/History/show/Nazi-Hunters-5000515.html

I have seen these when they 1st aired in Oz [?SBS TV channel] a few yrs ago...many are on Youtube if not working for overseas viewers via 'The Age' website. :D
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Return to Pilots Mess