Civil or civilian?

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Civil or civilian?

Postby HostileCacti » 06 Mar 2015, 12:21

Not sure where to put this, but this place seems appropriate....

I wonder about the use of the words civil and civilian, a quote to show what I mean:

"Experienced pilots, military or civil, don't lose their way on a straight run in fine weather."

I would (as a non-native speaker) so very much like to use: civilian here instead of civil.
Would civilian pilot be wrong?? :pilot:
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Pigs can fly
Reading now: Biggles and the Pirate Treasure
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Random: Tea & biscuits

Re: Civil or civilian?

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 14:24

HostileCacti wrote:Not sure where to put this, but this place seems appropriate....

I wonder about the use of the words civil and civilian, a quote to show what I mean:

"Experienced pilots, military or civil, don't lose their way on a straight run in fine weather."

I would (as a non-native speaker) so very much like to use: civilian here instead of civil.
Would civilian pilot be wrong?? :pilot:

Yes.

Civil is an adjective, a word used to describe a noun. A civil pilot. Civil is an adjective, pilot is a noun.

Civil has two meanings. The first is not related to the military, the second is courteous or polite. A civil pilot could be a non-military pilot or a polite pilot, depending on context. The first is more likely.

Civilian is a noun. A civilian is a person who is not part of the military.

Grammatically you could have a civil civilian, but you would probably choose a different adjective eg a polite civilian.

English can be a devilish language :twisted: Hope this helps.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby HostileCacti » 06 Mar 2015, 15:42

Kismet wrote: Civil has two meanings. The first is not related to the military, the second is courteous or polite. A civil pilot could be a non-military pilot or a polite pilot, depending on context. The first is more likely.

Yes, that's the thing! When he writes it like that: military or civil pilot, I'm thinking to myself when I read it:
- What? Are military pilots rude?!! :toomuchcoffee:

But I think too much. :snigger:

And thank you! :aflower:
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Pigs can fly
Reading now: Biggles and the Pirate Treasure
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Random: Tea & biscuits

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 16:07

HostileCacti wrote:
Kismet wrote: Civil has two meanings. The first is not related to the military, the second is courteous or polite. A civil pilot could be a non-military pilot or a polite pilot, depending on context. The first is more likely.

Yes, that's the thing! When he writes it like that: military or civil pilot, I'm thinking to myself when I read it:
- What? Are military pilots rude?!! :toomuchcoffee:

But I think too much. :snigger:

And thank you! :aflower:

Any time. There are a few of us here who are fascinated by words and sayings, so ask away if you have any more questions.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Return to Pilots Mess