Meanwhile...back in Australia

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: Meanwhile...back in Australia

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 22 Apr 2018, 09:10

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:One of my favourite places, W. Had a lovely hike around Dove Lake many years ago.

Absolutely beautiful! Was very fortunate to visit Cradle Mountain a few yrs ago & again in April 2017...saw wombats & snow for the 1st time, wow!! :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 23 Apr 2018, 07:04

OK, back to the deadly critters, lol. And you thought it was sharks you had to worry about when you go for a swim on the beach in Australia...don't forget about about the dingoes eating sharks while watching deadly snakes fighting in the background! Suit of armour anyone?? :? :shock: :toomuchcoffee:

They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 23 Apr 2018, 08:02

OzBiggles1963 wrote:OK, back to the deadly critters, lol. And you thought it was sharks you had to worry about when you go for a swim on the beach in Australia...don't forget about about the dingoes eating sharks while watching deadly snakes fighting in the background! Suit of armour anyone?? :? :shock: :toomuchcoffee:

Presumably the deadly spiders are having fun in the grass?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 23 Apr 2018, 08:31

Indubitably, lol. Actually, I was wondering what kind of unknown sea monster or "stinger surprise" has killed the shark, which then washed up on the shore for the dingo to mung on... ;)
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 23 Apr 2018, 22:21

Here's a story that warmed my heart! We used to live in Albany Creek (the suburb, not the creek itself!!! :lol: ) - not far from the area featured in this article about platypuses (or should that be platypii :D ). We had been told that platypii could be found in both Albany Creek and nearby Sandy Creek - we regularly took our children on sighting expeditions, but never had any success. For anyone who's interested in preserving rapidly vanishing wild life, this article is encouraging :yay:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-24/health-of-platypus-habitat-trumps-development-brisbane/9688872
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 23 Apr 2018, 22:46

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Here's a story that warmed my heart! We used to live in Albany Creek (the suburb, not the creek itself!!! :lol: ) - not far from the area featured in this article about platypuses (or should that be platypii :D ). We had been told that platypii could be found in both Albany Creek and nearby Sandy Creek - we regularly took our children on sighting expeditions, but never had any success. For anyone who's interested in preserving rapidly vanishing wild life, this article is encouraging :yay:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-24/health-of-platypus-habitat-trumps-development-brisbane/9688872

No chance for me. My trip to Australia was quite devoid of wildlife. I could almost feel cheated.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 24 Apr 2018, 03:15

Fairblue wrote:No chance for me. My trip to Australia was quite devoid of wildlife. I could almost feel cheated.

Next time, FB, we'll make sure you see 'roos, koalas, wombats at the very least...We'll go over to Lone Pine (wish I'd thought of it last time!! :oops:). Platypuses, however, well - we could go back to Albany Creek and do some hunting...
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 24 Apr 2018, 08:41

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Fairblue wrote:No chance for me. My trip to Australia was quite devoid of wildlife. I could almost feel cheated.

Next time, FB, we'll make sure you see 'roos, koalas, wombats at the very least...We'll go over to Lone Pine (wish I'd thought of it last time!! :oops:). Platypuses, however, well - we could go back to Albany Creek and do some hunting...

I am willing to forgo sight of the Platypuses, RSG.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 28 Apr 2018, 22:18

Apparently Oz has been home to the world's oldest spider (now deceased). Who knew?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-28/worlds-oldest-spider-dies-aged-43-in-western-australia/9707422
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 29 Apr 2018, 06:09

Yet another snake tale...How a Kiwi born Aussie vet saved a python from death-threatening facial injuries in North Queensland.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-29/snake-with-smashed-face-receives-life-saving-treatment-cooktown/9708254
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 29 Apr 2018, 08:28

I wonder if that vet went to Australia because New Zealand critters didn't give the same opportunity for excitement as the Aussie ones do? And I've learned something new today. I had never heard of a quoll before. Had to look it up. And try and remember it for scrabble. :roll:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 29 Apr 2018, 08:56

Yes: that could cause a very satisfactory Scrabble moment.

I don't play Scrabble but I like crosswords - maybe I'll find it in a crossword one day.

Lucky snake and a very kind vet.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 29 Apr 2018, 09:33

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Apparently Oz has been home to the world's oldest spider (now deceased). Who knew?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-28/worlds-oldest-spider-dies-aged-43-in-western-australia/9707422

Fascinating...I had NO idea that spiders were that long lived. :shock:

I wonder how many "spider years" that is?? If it was a horse, it would be 172 yrs old!! 8-)
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 29 Apr 2018, 10:06

Fairblue wrote:I wonder if that vet went to Australia because New Zealand critters didn't give the same opportunity for excitement as the Aussie ones do? And I've learned something new today. I had never heard of a quoll before. Had to look it up. And try and remember it for scrabble. :roll:

Another good one could be a quokka, FB - although you may be familiar with them.
https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=O4rlWsSaL4OC8wXDgIyoAw&q=quokka&oq=quokka&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i67k1j0j0i67k1j0l7.3114.5035.0.7451.5.5.0.0.0.0.268.981.2-4.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.981...35i39k1.0.jWq4eVRKips

(When our eldest American granddaughter first visited us a few years ago, she couldn't get over all the "interesting" names. She commented that when she went home, she'd just make up names and if anyone challenged her, she was going to say, "It's Australian!" :lol:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 29 Apr 2018, 10:27

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Fairblue wrote:I wonder if that vet went to Australia because New Zealand critters didn't give the same opportunity for excitement as the Aussie ones do? And I've learned something new today. I had never heard of a quoll before. Had to look it up. And try and remember it for scrabble. :roll:

Another good one could be a quokka, FB - although you may be familiar with them.
https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=O4rlWsSaL4OC8wXDgIyoAw&q=quokka&oq=quokka&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i67k1j0j0i67k1j0l7.3114.5035.0.7451.5.5.0.0.0.0.268.981.2-4.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.981...35i39k1.0.jWq4eVRKips

(When our eldest American granddaughter first visited us a few years ago, she couldn't get over all the "interesting" names. She commented that when she went home, she'd just make up names and if anyone challenged her, she was going to say, "It's Australian!" :lol:

I’ve never come across a quokka before, either. They look cute but I imagine they could give a nasty bite.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 29 Apr 2018, 14:18

A new one for me too.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Wanderer » 29 Apr 2018, 14:22

Fairblue wrote:They look cute but I imagine they could give a nasty bite.

They are generally very placid but if harassed can give a nasty nip: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1453997
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Kismet » 29 Apr 2018, 14:44

The quokka are gorgeous. I'd like a colony of them living nearby. They have personality!

I'm astounded at how long the spider lived. I didn't realise they could live anything like that long.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby VickersVandal » 29 Apr 2018, 15:44

Fairblue wrote:I’ve never come across a quokka before, either. They look cute but I imagine they could give a nasty bite.

They're native to Australia, so there has to be some way they can kill you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was loving that shark-dingo-snakes photo when I first saw it on facebook and was about to post it here but then realised it's just two separate pictures jammed together, so I was quite disappointed. The sentiment is still true though.....Australia is pretty much summed up by various disparate members of the animal (and plant!) kingdom intent on annihilating humans and each other.
My Biggles Models display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
The forum Biggles model gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=18
VickersVandal
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Reading now: Biggles of 266, with the Lesser Vandal
Reading next: More WW1 short stories with the LV
My top chap: Dickpa
Starsign: Star of Bethlehem
Aircraft: The Vandal
Random: Zees is ze Trondheim Hammer Dance....

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 30 Apr 2018, 03:36

Just imagine being on the receiving end of one of these:
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4zce6.html
Ouch!
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Keith Richards - Life

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 01 May 2018, 22:51

And now... vicious kangaroo addicts! Yes, really! :shock:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-02/a ... ts/9716612
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 01 May 2018, 22:54

I blinked when I read that carrots were a high sugar food for kangaroos. The things I learn on this site.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby CaptWilks » 02 May 2018, 05:25

From Wikipedia:

Kangaroos: a large male can be 2 m (6 ft 7 in) tall and weigh 90 kg (200 lb).

The famous Skippy the Bush Kangaroo may have given some the wrong idea. Skippy was "played" by several different female kangaroos and the females are considerably smaller than the males. I think the Skippys were also rather young kangaroos.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby CaptWilks » 02 May 2018, 06:06

More, back in Australia:

Strangers on the doorstep rarely bring good news. But a Darwin woman received a visitor like no other on Monday night when a juvenile saltwater crocodile paid her a surprise visit in the city's rural area. Jessica Burton was letting her dog out when she spotted the 60-centimetre reptile at her door and was so shocked that she thought it was a practical joke. "I kind of had a look and thought, 'No way, you've got to be kidding'," she told ABC Radio Darwin's Conor Byrne.

This is not in Darwin. Noonamah is 40 km south of Darwin and the croc may have wandered over from the Elizabeth River. That river feeds Darwin Harbour. Large crocs wandering around Darwin are captured and taken to one of the crocodile farms.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-02/rural-resident-gets-shock-as-crocodile-turns-up-on-doorstep/9718444
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 04 May 2018, 03:38

Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 12 May 2018, 22:59

This is a good article about a wonderful spot in North Queensland, Cape Hillsborough (outside Mackay) where wallabies hang out on the beach and enjoy the surf. I've been there a couple of times (back in the dim, dark ages) and also have photos (somewhere) of the wallabies on the pristine beach. Recently, we seem to be having increasing incidents of people feeding inappropriate snacks to our wildlife in an effort to get a selfie with the particular animal. Consequently, there's an increase in the number of attacks on tourists by the wildlife, as the animals don't realise the food has run out and then become aggressive. (Also, it's usually inappropriate food that's not suitable for their diet.) Anyway, there are some really good photos of beautiful Cape Hillsborough and wallabies on the beach in the article.

FB, this place is about a 2 and a half day drive north of our place - probably not ideal for a quick afternoon jaunt looking for 'roos :D

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-13/cape-hillsborough-wallaby-tour-animal-concern/9754922
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 12 May 2018, 23:12

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:FB, this place is about a 2 and a half day drive north of our place - probably not ideal for a quick afternoon jaunt looking for 'roos :D

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-13/cape-hillsborough-wallaby-tour-animal-concern/9754922

No, but it looks beautiful.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 13 May 2018, 05:52

Fairblue wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:FB, this place is about a 2 and a half day drive north of our place - probably not ideal for a quick afternoon jaunt looking for 'roos :D

No, but it looks beautiful.

It certainly is beautiful, FB. Maybe if you and Mr FB were to plan a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, Cairns and the Tableland area, you could fly down to Mackay and pop out to Cape Hillsborough (and then continue on down to us :D )
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 20 May 2018, 09:44

For those of you who think koalas are vicious, meat eating tourist killers [aka 'drop bears'], there are some who just enjoy the quiet life:

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/nationa ... the-murray
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 20 May 2018, 11:34

That's great. I like this one. There aren't enough koalas (or drop bears) on this thread.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Mess