Meanwhile...back in Australia

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 08 Jan 2015, 22:01

Haven't seen a good "snake and people" story for a while. Wonder how Biggles would have handled this scenario?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/deadly-brown-snake-surfs-the-waves-at-beach-in-forster-nsw/story-fnii5s41-1227176981216
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Re: Meanwhile...back in Australia

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Jan 2015, 22:10

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Haven't seen a good "snake and people" story for a while. Wonder how Biggles would have handled this scenario?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/deadly-brown-snake-surfs-the-waves-at-beach-in-forster-nsw/story-fnii5s41-1227176981216

1.5 meters? Gack.

This was sent to me by a friend in San Diego:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/S ... 52441.html

Despite being on the other side of the continent, I've had a good look around the bathroom today every time I've gone in! I haven't got a snake phobia, per se, but I really don't want to share the bathroom with one either.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 08 Jan 2015, 23:34

kylie_koyote wrote:1.5 meters? Gack.

Despite being on the other side of the continent, I've had a good look around the bathroom today every time I've gone in! I haven't got a snake phobia, per se, but I really don't want to share the bathroom with one either.

No way would I want to be sharing any part of my house with one - I do have snake phobia!! We've had several close encounters with both venomous and non-venomous over the years, and I'm still terrified of them. Biggest we've ever encountered up close and personal was a harmless python in Cooloola NP - as thick as MrRSG's arm and probably about 15-20feet long.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 09 Jan 2015, 02:34

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:1.5 meters? Gack.

No way would I want to be sharing any part of my house with one - I do have snake phobia!! We've had several close encounters with both venomous and non-venomous over the years, and I'm still terrified of them. Biggest we've ever encountered up close and personal was a harmless python in Cooloola NP - as thick as MrRSG's arm and probably about 15-20feet long.

As I teenager I walked & trekked in long grass & thick bush nearby in summer holidays frequently [in hindsight a bit risky] & only once came across some snakes, but I often wonder now [with the wisdom of old-er age, lol] how close I was to other snakes I may not necessarily have seen :? , although I was always told by my grandfather [right or wrong] that the majority are more scared of humans than vice versa...thank goodness I never found out about the 'minority'. :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 21 Jan 2015, 10:46

Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 21 Jan 2015, 11:09

Wow, that 'frilled' shark [looks like something from Jurassic Park, lol] is certainly a scary looking critter...thank goodness I normally don't swim at 700 metres down. ;)
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2015, 12:08

Those are really cool. And scary. :shock: I don't think we have anything venomous near where I live, but we do have a coyote problem. :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 21 Jan 2015, 12:19

Pretty freaky..
Over in good ol Blighty, the only terrors we get these days are the odd wild boar on the road, house-spider attacks, sea-gull dive-bombing, and Jeremy Clarkson.
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm
My top chap: Biggles

Postby Kismet » 21 Jan 2015, 12:33

Frilled shark is such a pretty name. I was hoping for something quite cute. No. Frilled sharks are not attractive in any way. Interesting to see, though.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2015, 13:44

J349 wrote:Pretty freaky..
Over in good ol Blighty, the only terrors we get these days are the odd wild boar on the road, house-spider attacks, sea-gull dive-bombing, and Jeremy Clarkson.

We have these!
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/W ... story.html
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby J349 » 21 Jan 2015, 13:46

Tommy Smith wrote:

We have these!

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.. !!

The Great Escape (Rhino-style):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... -park.html

Road Runner in Real life:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30677943
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2015, 13:52

Man chasing rhinos :lol:
My, they move well.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 21 Jan 2015, 13:55

A dive-bombing, ice-cream stealing seagull is all I've got to offer. Mr FB still hasn't recovered from his mugging. :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2015, 17:39

Both of these were taken by a motion-sensor camera in my backyard. We've also got a weird-looking animal called a Fisher or Fisher-Cat that I've seen twice from my kitchen window ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal) ) that looks like a giant ferret. They have been known to attack house pets and children, so we keep a wary eye out when we're playing outside with our two-year-old.

"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 21 Jan 2015, 17:53

kylie_koyote wrote:Both of these were taken by a motion-sensor camera in my backyard. We've also got a weird-looking animal called a Fisher or Fisher-Cat that I've seen twice from my kitchen window ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal) ) that looks like a giant ferret. They have been known to attack house pets and children, so we keep a wary eye out when we're playing outside with our two-year-old.

Never heard of them Fisher things, they look quite tough. Great photos.

Do you live fairly rural then (lots of wild animals)?
How big are coyotes, KK (I presume that is what's in the first picture)?
We get a few foxes round here (how do they compare in size to coyotes?), and a giant big black cat that's not scared of anything (he hisses at you, and deposits dirties on our front lawn, which our dopey dog eats :roll: :sick: ) but that's about it.
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2015, 18:46

We live fairly close to a major city, but our street runs smack between two large parcels of state-owned conservation forests. We get all sorts of woodland creatures. Some of them appear to like my son's toys. We've found raccoon prints on his slide and something bit a big hole in his soccer ball.

The coyotes are about fox size.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 21 Jan 2015, 18:59

kylie_koyote wrote:We live fairly close to a major city, but our street runs smack between two large parcels of state-owned conservation forests. We get all sorts of woodland creatures. Some of them appear to like my son's toys. We've found raccoon prints on his slide and something bit a big hole in his soccer ball.

The coyotes are about fox size.

Oh right ok thanks, sounds fun! Do you see any skunks at all?? 8-)
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2015, 19:07

I haven't seen them, but we smell them periodically. :)
And the chipmunks are legion and think they own the place. They even sunbathe on our deck.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 21 Jan 2015, 19:11

kylie_koyote wrote:I haven't seen them, but we smell them periodically. :)

Sounds pretty nasty... :roll:
kylie_koyote wrote:And the chipmunks are legion and think they own the place. They even sunbathe on our deck.

Don't tell my dog that lol - he jumps up at the window and barks like crazy every time he sees a small furry rodent.
Do you get more chipmunks than squirrels, over there?
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2015, 19:18

Do you get more chipmunks than squirrels, over there?

Oh, the squirrels are legion too. It's kind of varies year to year on which is the dominate species.

One afternoon two summers ago, we were sitting out on our deck and a rustle in the woods caught our attention. A hawk swooped low overhead with a squirming chipmunk in its talons. Then the chipmunk wriggled free and dropped onto our roof, where it rolled and bounced down to the gutter, over the gutter, and fell about 8 feet to the deck. It lay there for a moment and we thought surely it must be dead. Then it hopped up, gave itself a good shake, and ran away. Lucky little blighter.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 21 Jan 2015, 19:23

kylie_koyote wrote:Oh, the squirrels are legion too. It's kind of varies year to year on which is the dominate species.

One afternoon two summers ago, we were sitting out on our deck and a rustle in the woods caught our attention. A hawk swooped low overhead with a squirming chipmunk in its talons. Then the chipmunk wriggled free and dropped onto our roof, where it rolled and bounced down to the gutter, over the gutter, and fell about 8 feet to the deck. It lay there for a moment and we thought surely it must be dead. Then it hopped up, gave itself a good shake, and ran away.

Wow, I'll bet that was a sight to behold! You seem to have it all, in the States. They can be quite tough :P I saw one skipping along at a real fast pace along a long fence (the narrow wooden ones), I was mesmerised by it, it was great to watch! going like a rocket ...then it fell down... but was up again lol.

We had a bird of prey swoop down on a pigeon some time ago too; amazing to see nature live in action :D
kylie_koyote wrote:Lucky little blighter.

Picking up on some jolly ol' British slang I see .. :D all those years of reading Biggles books having an effect!
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby tiffinata » 21 Jan 2015, 22:55

Us Aussies use it too.
Far more polite than some of the other B words.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 22 Jan 2015, 00:34

Tommy Smith wrote:

We have these!

Wow, a wild 'wobbly' in Old Blighty...escapee from a zoo or circus perchance? [Wonder if it still speaks in it's native tongue or has developed a Devonshire accent..."'Ere, what's that Skip? You need to steal a helicopter & fly back to Oz??"] Skippy the Devonshire Kangaroo!...my sad joke for Aussies who remember the show. ;) :oops:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby J349 » 22 Jan 2015, 08:53

Not just limited to Australia!
Skippy, skippy, the bush kangaroo!

tiffinata wrote:Us Aussies use it too.
Far more polite than some of the other B words.

Yeah, well thats true..
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Tracer » 22 Jan 2015, 10:50

We had wobblies here too, after the Great Storm in 1987. Fences blew down and wobblies escaped from private collections. Survived quite a long time, but I think have all died out now - foxes eat the joeys, so I'm told by a friend who has captive wobblies.

I suspect several people signed the pledge after seeing one in the headlights, though :lol:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 24 Feb 2015, 04:02

You really do have to keep a close eye on our wild-life!! :o Here's a koala accused of trying to steal a 4x4 down in Victoria :lol: Be careful where you park the Auster on your next visit down under, Biggles...you might find it hi-jacked by a koala... :imao:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/victorian-schoolboy-finds-koala-trying-to-steal-family-car/story-fnjwkt0b-1227236764643
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 24 Feb 2015, 10:45

Good ol' drop bears can do anything!
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 24 Feb 2015, 11:09

tiffinata wrote:Good ol' drop bears can do anything!

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 24 Feb 2015, 12:10

LOL! He's a bit short to reach the pedals, but he's got the theory down pat. How adorable!
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 May 2015, 11:30

My desire to go back to Australia has cooled somewhat...

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-an ... -australia
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Next

Return to Pilots Mess