Spitfire Ale

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Spitfire Ale

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2014, 03:46

Saw this on a post outside a nearby 'English style' pub [Pig 'N' Whistle I think], does this brew exist in the 'Mother Country', or just a gimmick for us thirsty Aussies?:

They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Spitfire Ale

Postby tiffinata » 05 Oct 2014, 08:46

it exists all right!
I tried it earlier on this year. Quite strong to my taste.
It was brewed for the 50th anniversary of the BOB.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2014, 08:57

tiffinata wrote:it exists all right!
I tried it earlier on this year. Quite strong to my taste.
It was brewed for the 50th anniversary of the BOB.

Ah, 'bewdy Newk' as they used to say! ;) :lol: I might have to give it a go if it's a pale ale...being gluten free [mostly] means dark ales & 'wheat' brews are definitely off my menu list usually, lol.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 09:01

I vaguely remember some German wag somewhere saying he liked a pint of Spitfire and had downed four, which was one more that his father had in 1942.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2014, 09:09

Tommy Smith wrote:I vaguely remember some German wag somewhere saying he liked a pint of Spitfire and had downed four, which was one more that his father had in 1942.

Haha...good one! [I'm getting a Fawlty Towers 'don't mention the war' vibe now]. ;) 8-) :lol:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Oct 2014, 09:23

Actually, it's been around for a while - I think it was S666 who first mentioned it on the forum a long time back, and you will find it mentioned in some old RPGs ;)

We certainly drank it at her house (RAAFSG, archie, Lycaea, S666 and myself) when we were all there for a Twyford meeting two/three years ago (?). S666 has some special glasses for it.

It is brewed by Shepherd Neame, a Kent brewery with a good reputation for real ale - I first 'met' their beer at a Sheffield beer festival in the 1980s. Spitfire Ale was first brewed in 1990 to celebrate the 50 years anniversary of the Battle of Britain (I had to google this bit!). Must have been successful, as a quarter of a century on it is still around - available in many supermarkets in England!

Apologies Tiff - I see you have already said it was brewed for the BoB.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2014, 10:08

I had my first taste of if it this year in Oz when I was staying with RAASG. If I could find it again I would definitely buy it. Unfortunately, OzB, I think it's dark ale, but if I 'm wrong, someone will set me right, I'm sure.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Lycaea » 05 Oct 2014, 10:34

Don't ask me why, because I'm not really a beer/ale drinker, but I have a bottle at home. I can't find any print about dark or light, though, only 4,5 percent vol. Kentish ale, And that it contains barley malt. Anything else to look for?

I can open the bottle (about time, really) and take a photo, if that helps...
Lycaea
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2014, 10:37

Well, the logo I saw says in part 'India pale ale', so I live in hope. Maybe they have a few variants, will do some Dr. Googling, lol. Thanks Lycaea, barley sounds ok to me. :yay:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 10:41

I think its classed as a Pale Ale/Bitter.

We also have
some of the sales of which goes to Fly Navy Heritage Trust to keep theirs flying.
The new labels not as nice.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2014, 10:44

I have to admit that I hate to be wrong, but I was. It's a pale ale. I literally Googled 'is Spitfire ale a pale or dark ale?' :sigh4:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby tiffinata » 05 Oct 2014, 10:46

Quick google of the brewing company leads me to believe Spitfire and India are two different brews.
Given they both describe a 'malty' taste, (and with a Coeliac relative we shop for) I would assume they are not gluten free.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2014, 10:49

Marvellous looking Swordfish logo TS! I have only 4 airplane models [made 25 yrs ago, lol], & one of them is a Fairey Swordfish, great looking plane.

Edit: Yes, I am wheat 'intolerant', so low gluten & low wheat is what I try to achieve, & some pale ales I am allowed 1 [or maybe 2, lol]. ;)
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 05 Oct 2014, 10:51

Easier to cook for than my relative!
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 11:07

Ah ha! Chaps we're are on the case.

There is a 'Burleigh Spitfire an India Pale Ale' actually brewed in Oz.

I suspect from the label posted this may be it.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 11:09

You know it makes sense.

'Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s country estate at Chartwell is two miles from Westerham and he also enjoyed Black Eagle beers. He was determined that servicemen should have regular supplies and he approved of Spitfires at Biggin Hill being specially adapted so that fuel tanks containing Black Eagle beer could be delivered to members of the armed forces fighting in France and other parts of Europe (image above)'.

Possibly the best job in the world.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Oct 2014, 11:49

I wonder if it's sold over here. I'll have to have a look round.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Oct 2014, 13:12

Tommy Smith wrote:836
You know it makes sense.

'Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s country estate at Chartwell is two miles from Westerham and he also enjoyed Black Eagle beers. He was determined that servicemen should have regular supplies and he approved of Spitfires at Biggin Hill being specially adapted so that fuel tanks containing Black Eagle beer could be delivered to members of the armed forces fighting in France and other parts of Europe (image above)'.

Possibly the best job in the world.

Well done Sherlock! [on the Burleigh connection...I will set the 'Baker Street Boys' on the case, ;) :lol: ].

P.S. Wow, what an important job, delivering booze overseas! [I wonder if the beer had a slight, um, 'high octane' flavour? :| :thinking2: ]
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 14:31

and do note that from the above photo if you are wearing a white coat, you are the expert or boffin (he's doing the difficult bit).

Good luck with the beer hunt.
Beerhunter. Ha!
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Oct 2014, 15:10

As somebody who enjoys beer and knows a little bit about it (but not an expert), I can say definitely that Shepherds Neame Spitfire ale is an English 'bitter' - not a dark ale, nor a pale ale of any description.

I am trying to remember which supermarkets I have bought it from - I am sure S666 will know. Maybe Waitrose, maybe Sainsbury both of whom do a good selection of bottled real ales.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2014, 15:17

I'm going to pay more attention to the beer sections of my local supermarkets. It would be nice to track it down.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Oct 2014, 15:19

You could google the usual culprits like Tesco, etc. :lol:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2014, 15:58

Good idea. I usually Google everything. Why didn't I think of that?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Oct 2014, 17:44

SaintedAunt wrote:As somebody who enjoys beer and knows a little bit about it (but not an expert), I can say definitely that Shepherds Neame Spitfire ale is an English 'bitter' - not a dark ale, nor a pale ale of any description.

I am trying to remember which supermarkets I have bought it from - I am sure S666 will know. Maybe Waitrose, maybe Sainsbury both of whom do a good selection of bottled real ales.

Waitrose definitely sell it. Part of the cost is given to the RAF Benevolent Society. I don't know enough about beers to know what to call it, but am glad to know it is a bitter, SA ;) It ismy favourite. RSG told me she got it in Oz.
I thought all beers had barley in them, but perhaps there are special ones that don't. There is a lot of discussion as to where the hops etc. come from, because all the ingredients make the different tastes.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby auster_aiglet » 05 Oct 2014, 17:48

I'm nearly sure I've seen 'Spitfire' beer in our local Tescos. I'll have to check next time I'm in!

I'm also sure I've photos of Spitfires with actual beer kegs mounted under the wings. None of this pouring it into drop tanks... or is that after the fact and he's actually doing something else?

Myles
auster_aiglet
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 18:50

I have the kegs under the wings pic but having stumbled upon the one posted dug further and came up with...
http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2014/06 ... -normandy/

“tough luck; it still tasted of petrol,”

Cripes! I'm now an expert having read that.
Last edited by Tommy Smith on 05 Oct 2014, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Oct 2014, 18:55

It's interesting you came across that because I am quite sure I have recently too. I think it might have been on a recent TV programme - there have been a lot of what I call snippets programmes on BBC4 and the other channels recently - usually really interesting offbeat things.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Oct 2014, 19:00

Its new to me but an interesting article.

auxiliary dual-purpose tanks were filled with Bitter on one side and Mild on the other
Chilled to perfection.

and
'We were, in fact, a little concerned about the strength situation of the barrels, and on application to Henty and Constables for basic stressing data we were astonished to find that the eventuality of being flown on the bomb racks of a Spitfire was a case which had not been taken into consideration in the design of the barrels. However, flight tests proved them to be up to the job. This installation, incidentally, was known as Mod XXX Depth charge'.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 05 Oct 2014, 19:47

Mr. Tracer drinks Spitfire Ale and we buy it in Waitrose. I'm not a beer drinker (like the taste can't manage the quantity) so I have a few slurps from his glass from time to time. He also likes Hoppy Hare (that's my favourite) and Fursty Ferret. These are made in small quantities by small brewers and go to the local markets as a rule.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 05 Oct 2014, 19:53

Now if you drink out of cans, instead of bottles...

http://www.tesscar-aluminum-craft.com/

I like the WW1 biplane.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth

Next

Return to Pilots Mess