New postings on the Forum

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

New postings on the Forum

Postby Frecks » 15 Sep 2014, 07:35

Every single post I put on this Forum is scrutinised, criticised, censored and quite often moved and it is very annoying. VZ says there is "so much choice" on the Forum but in fact the choice is entirely what the Moderators think. I feel I am being singled out in this regard but as the Mods send PMs when they move things I cannot be sure about it. When I come on the Forum I usually just look at the New Posts section and I hardly ever notice which part of the Forum the post is on.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Re: New postings on the Forum

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 15 Sep 2014, 15:26

I only ever use two other forums, on one of them the moderators have never intervened and on the other...there just aren't any moderators.On here I've had a few useful tips by PM from Sainted Aunt to save me from breaching Board Netiquette/ convention, which I think is rather handy.
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Kismet » 15 Sep 2014, 15:54

I've found the moderators very helpful. Sainted Aunt advised me on how to edit posts when I first started, and all the moderators I spoke to were supportive when I came up with the idea for the Challenge. I think their ideas, Sainted Aunt's in particular on creating a sub forum, worked really well and S666 was very fast at creating one for me.

I've taken down a couple of posts when we've got an RPG deeply entangled and needed to clear the decks to get it running freely again, but that was necessary for us all to play and have a fun time. I don't think any deathless prose has been lost to posterity.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby SopwithCamel » 16 Sep 2014, 02:01

Frecks, in order to make the forum easier to navigate for current and new members, a number of changes have recently been made to the forum. A number of posts and threads, including yours, were moved to different forums and sub-forums for this reason. Your posts were definitely not singled out for this, and, as you know, we usually send a PM to the orginal poster when moving posts so that they will know where to look for them. A lot of careful thought and discussion is put into the moving of any post, and we only do so when we feel that it is necessary; it is certainly not done on mere whims.

This is a public forum, and therefore it is natural that any post made is subject to "scrutiny" and discussion. Other members may not share your opinions and are of course free to say so, in the same way that you are free to express your views on other people's posts. This is not in any way criticism, and should not be taken as such.

I am not aware of any incident in which any post of yours was censored. We do not censor posts for anything other than bad language. We are not a forum that insists on a lot of rules, but we do insist that members treat each other with respect. Other than that, we try to give members as much leeway as possible.

While we would prefer members to stay on topic during a thread, we understand that sometimes (as with any normal conversation) this is not easy to do. The mods are volunteers who work when and as they can. We are not online 24 hours a day to reinforce the off-topic rule, and, to be honest, we don't want to be so heavy-handed about things anyway.

If there is some specific incident concerning a post or a mod that has upset you, may I suggest that you PM me or one of the other mods about it? Something like this is better dealt with by private message rather than on the open forum.
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 16 Sep 2014, 07:52

Thank you for your response. I agree with much of what you say. I myself find the Forum much harder to navigate now as everything is hidden in sub Forums and it is very difficult to decide where to put up a new post. I would find it much easier if a Thread such as "Pilot's Mess" or something similar was put in a position where it was easy to see.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Spitfire666 » 16 Sep 2014, 11:14

Until a few months ago it was not necessary to put posts into sub-forums because we never had so many posts that we could not remember where everything was. With the number of posts now being made it became necessary to read through pages of posts in order to see if the same point had already been made. Frecks, you said you did not wish to read through the old posts to find out. It is now necessary to look only at the sub-forum headings and then check posts in the most likely one.

It is the Mods job to try to keep some kind of order in the forum. The names of the sub-forums were discussed carefully before being set up. When we have time we check and if necessary move posts from one topic to another or merge them. Controversy does not come into it at all, only the subject of the post in deciding whether it should be moved or not. As SC has said, if you have a problem over a particular post, you should PM one of the Mods. and discuss it with them.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Return to Pilots Mess