What are you cooking or eating?

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: What are you cooking or eating?

Postby id_ten_it » 08 Feb 2018, 05:33

Mm I am thinking of borrowing some chickens, which will have the added benefit of destroying the oxalis (sp?) as well...or just biting the bullet and getting started on a christmas roast early this year!
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Reading last: Poems by the Anzacs
Reading now: Hidden Figures
My top chap: Sir Keith Park
Aircraft: TSR-2

Postby Tracer » 08 Feb 2018, 11:10

Chickens are very good for a winter vegetable garden - they eat all the gribblies, and more importantly, they eat slug and snail eggs.

They will destroy your letti!
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby tiffinata » 08 Feb 2018, 22:12

I put in New Zealand Yams one year, not realising they were a species of oxalis. I was just thinking about panicking, when my chickens took care of it.
Mine have rather gourmet tastes- they like iceberg and young lettuce, but not so much the older ones. Our bigger chickens had a fondness for young mice.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby id_ten_it » 09 Feb 2018, 02:40

I've not heard of a NZ Yam before - but oxalis are the bane of my gardening existence, which is why I think I need chooks! Sadly the council decree my garden is too small to keep the things.

The last lot of chooks we had unfortunately got their beaks stuck together by a bad pavlova and were never quite the same since. I haven't heard of them eating mice though (isn't that what snakes are for?)
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 09 Feb 2018, 04:19

id_ten_it wrote:The last lot of chooks we had unfortunately got their beaks stuck together by a bad pavlova and were never quite the same since. I haven't heard of them eating mice though (isn't that what snakes are for?)

:laughspit:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Tracer » 09 Feb 2018, 11:26

My chickens would catch and eat mice, and we once heard a kerfuffle and rushed out to see the cockerel spurring a young rat to death.

Chickens are really small dinosaurs.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 09 Feb 2018, 12:29

id_ten_it wrote:The last lot of chooks we had unfortunately got their beaks stuck together by a bad pavlova and were never quite the same since.

This is amazing. :laughspit:
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby id_ten_it » 09 Feb 2018, 20:53

Tracer wrote:My chickens would catch and eat mice, and we once heard a kerfuffle and rushed out to see the cockerel spurring a young rat to death.

Chickens are really small dinosaurs.

Wow! Its all go here!
They are - small dinosaurs who enjoy going on a swing (our ones did anyway. Before the pavlova incident)
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby tiffinata » 11 Feb 2018, 08:25

This weekend I walked past our local fruit shop.....

And bought a ton of fruit that was on sale.
So my weekend has consisted of two batches of tomato ketchup, one each of spicy plum sauce, tomato passata and cherry jam.

Now I need tea and a nap.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 11 Feb 2018, 11:11

Well-deserved tea and nap, Tiff!

When I get a load of tomatoes given, I freeze them whole and use them as and when. I am nothing like as industrious as you are.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Fairblue » 11 Feb 2018, 14:21

Tracer wrote:Well-deserved tea and nap, Tiff!

When I get a load of tomatoes given, I freeze them whole and use them as and when. I am nothing like as industrious as you are.

I do that too, Tracer. Particularly the small cherry ones. I throw those into Casseroles.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby tiffinata » 12 Feb 2018, 09:06

No room in my freezer, hence the bottling.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 12 Mar 2018, 20:49

Daughter number two has decided to make chicken soup from scratch. She has boiled up a chicken carcass and the vegetables suggested by her recipe for five hours and is now cooking chicken portions and vegetables to go into it. And a rainbow cake as she hasn't made one for a while. The soup might be ready by midnight. I have given up all hope of it being ready to eat tonight and have made an egg on toast for my tea.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 12 Mar 2018, 22:37

Kismet wrote:...The soup might be ready by midnight. I have given up all hope of it being ready to eat tonight and have made an egg on toast for my tea.

:imao:

For last night's dinner I just had a granny smith apple, some celery sticks, hummus and a boiled egg. I had planned on having some left over baked chicken and roast veggies from Saturday night, but after a dubious lunch experience settled for something light. I'd had to buy lunch after a meeting, several suburbs away, that ran really late. I ordered a Gluten Free toasted sandwich and about 15 minutes later as I was driving home, seriously began to doubt that it had really been GF. Upset tummy, heavy traffic. So relieved to finally reach home.

Enjoy the soup when it's finally ready, Kismet. Sounds yummie.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 13 Mar 2018, 00:12

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Kismet wrote:...The soup might be ready by midnight. I have given up all hope of it being ready to eat tonight and have made an egg on toast for my tea.

For last night's dinner I just had a granny smith apple, some celery sticks, hummus and a boiled egg. I had planned on having some left over baked chicken and roast veggies from Saturday night, but after a dubious lunch experience settled for something light. I'd had to buy lunch after a meeting, several suburbs away, that ran really late. I ordered a Gluten Free toasted sandwich and about 15 minutes later as I was driving home, seriously began to doubt that it had really been GF. Upset tummy, heavy traffic. So relieved to finally reach home.

Enjoy the soup when it's finally ready, Kismet. Sounds yummie.

Poor you. That couldn't have been very comfortable.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 13 Mar 2018, 09:16

Awful. Glad you got home okay. :shock:
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 13 Mar 2018, 09:23

I honestly do not trust manufactured food, just look at the problems people are having.

(Chicken soup is great but you need to simmer the carcass on a low heat for a few hours first day, tip into a colander, keep the stock, flake the remaining meat into good stuff for the soup and stuff the pet will eat. The next day, fry up the onions and add stock, veg, seasoning, simmer and blend). Bingo! Love home made soup, great skill to have. Along with 'Making meals from leftovers in the fridge'.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 13 Mar 2018, 10:14

Enjoyed my "Leftovers" for dinner tonight :D Being Gluten Free definitely makes you very careful about food choices and we are fresh food freaks anyway. Yesterday's experience was unsettling because when ordering GF, you do trust the cafe/restaurant etc to actually serve up GF fare. That cafe is off my list now.

Mmmmm...that chicken soup sounds delicious, TS and Kismet. I have a couple of homegrown butternut pumpkins sitting in the fridge waiting to morph into pumpkin soup (one of my favourites). Thought I'd wait till Mr RSG is back with me before making it. Also have the Christmas ham bone up in the freezer awaiting its turn to be transformed into ham and pea soup.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 13 Mar 2018, 11:25

Tommy Smith wrote:I honestly do not trust manufactured food, just look at the problems people are having.

(Chicken soup is great but you need to simmer the carcass on a low heat for a few hours first day, tip into a colander, keep the stock, flake the remaining meat into good stuff for the soup and stuff the pet will eat. The next day, fry up the onions and add stock, veg, seasoning, simmer and blend). Bingo! Love home made soup, great skill to have. Along with 'Making meals from leftovers in the fridge'.

I'll save water I've cooked vegetables in to use as a stock for soup but I tend to use stock cubes for chicken, partially because I need more chicken stock than I can make from chicken I eat and partly because I hate throwing away all the veg I've cooked with the carcass: it seems wasteful. All edible scraps are pulled off the bones and fed to the cat, though, so one chicken goes a long way.

Sorry to hear of your recent experience at the café, rsg. I hope karma catches up with them quickly.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 13 Mar 2018, 12:04

Covered in custard. Full pot of powder. Top shelf. Loose lid. :| Comedy hour in my house.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 13 Mar 2018, 12:14

Tommy Smith wrote:Covered in custard. Full pot of powder. Top shelf. Loose lid. :| Comedy hour in my house.

Don't light a cigarette. Custard powder explodes!
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 Mar 2018, 13:06

Tommy Smith wrote:Covered in custard. Full pot of powder. Top shelf. Loose lid. :| Comedy hour in my house.

I am sorry, TS. But that's really funny. But yes, highly combustive.

I hope your day gets better.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Tommy Smith » 13 Mar 2018, 13:18

Right on me head. Poof. Like a hat. Custard everywhere, its still up my nose.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 13 Mar 2018, 14:08

Kismet wrote:

Don't light a cigarette. Custard powder explodes!

I am curious as to how you discovered the explosive properties of custard powder, Kismet.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 13 Mar 2018, 15:25

Fairblue wrote:I am curious as to how you discovered the explosive properties of custard powder, Kismet.

First hand experience. I took daughter number one occasionally to a science club for overachieving children back in the day, and they did cool demos of sciency things (heavily inspired by the Horrible Science books) and exploding custard was one of them. I know rather a lot on how to make things go bang now I come to think about it.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 Mar 2018, 16:45

Mr. KK specializes in combustible dust and he uses powdered coffee creamer to simulate a number of things in various explosions.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Spitfire666 » 13 Mar 2018, 18:57

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Enjoyed my "Leftovers" for dinner tonight :D Being Gluten Free definitely makes you very careful about food choices and we are fresh food freaks anyway. Yesterday's experience was unsettling because when ordering GF, you do trust the cafe/restaurant etc to actually serve up GF fare. That cafe is off my list now.

Ouch, hope you are quite okay now, RSG. Horrible event here a year ago when a man told a restaurant he could not eat nuts, but they had some in his dish and he died of it. Some places staff do not understand the difference between people not liking or wanting something, and actually being seriously allergic to it. The other thing of course is if they cannot provide gluten free food they should just apologise and say so.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby tiffinata » 13 Mar 2018, 20:25

And currently it is trendy to see gluten as the spawn of the devil, so those with the real sensitivity issues get thrown in with everyone else.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Mar 2018, 06:46

tiffinata wrote:And currently it is trendy to see gluten as the spawn of the devil, so those with the real sensitivity issues get thrown in with everyone else.

That’s so true, Tiff. My coeliac sister-in-law had a nasty experience with The Windsor (of all places!!!) in Melbourne when she organised a girls’ afternoon high tea to celebrate her 60th. She even went in before hand to discuss the menu and was assured that her high tea platter would be served separately. On the day, it was, but the sangers looked suspiciously like everyone else’s. She queried, the staff again assured her that hers were GF. She was really ill, of course, and when challenged later, denied any responsibility, claiming they’d served GF items for her.

And one of my American granddaughters is highly allergic to a large range of food (medically diagnosed) including nuts, dairy and the dreaded gluten. It’s not difficult to provide her with a perfectly healthy diet, but her other grandmother refuses to recognise any of these allergies (except the nuts - she is anaphylactic and carries an epi pen) and served her something recently. Young teen’s tongue was swelling and she was going bright red and quite ill. Older granddaughter asked for her sister to be taken to the ER, but Nana said she’d Be okay. Fortunately, grandie prevailed heavily upon her father as she pulled out her phone to call my daughter so he rushed the sick one off to the ER while tuther one rang her mum on the way. When our very upset daughter contacted us, we were speechless. But some people are very strange. :cry: :cry:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 14 Mar 2018, 08:00

People without full knowledge of a situation are often (in my experience usually always) dismissive of it. The older generation had nothing like this in previous years and I don't think they can quite believe it. Even the horses here are much better since I threw out all the junk feed mixes marketing and those in the employ of it were pushing heavily and put them back on basics. Modern bread is nothing like the old lower gluten grain, slow risen loaf. Levels of chemicals, additives and fillers used in food production now is astonishing.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Mess