Biggles' Squadron and the Annual Medical

Re: Biggles' Squadron and the Annual Medical

Postby Kismet » 05 Mar 2018, 21:20

'Errr,' Doc Lorton mumbled in embarrassment.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 05 Mar 2018, 23:18

The SMO looked at his colleague in a new light. “Why on earth didn’t you say so before? Look, we must positively have a chat some time.”
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 05 Mar 2018, 23:47

They, to Doc Lorton's relief, were interrupted by a platoon of Queen Alexandra's nurses, who had heard 666 squadron was here and wished to volunteer to nurse Algy in their off duty moments.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2018, 00:28

They didn't get very far. The Ward sister was stickler for duty. If anyone was going to nurse Flight Lt the honourable Algernon Lacey it would be her. She thanked them for their devotion to duty and turned them over to the sister in charge of the sluice room.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2018, 00:33

Doc Lorton's administration of the ....dietary supplement....kept them very busy.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2018, 00:38

Biggles was one of the first to recover. "Of course he would be," Doc Lorton muttered as Biggles started to pester the SMO with questions.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2018, 00:44

Doc Lorton encouraged the squadron to follow a basic exercise programme as they recovered. They still had a medical to pass.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2018, 00:49

"So,who won the Sports trophy?" Algy asked Biggles as he lay in bed recovering. The sister had told him he could expect another two weeks in hospital.....at least.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2018, 01:08

'It was cancelled,' grinned Biggles, 'but I rather think that we scored the most points from the games that were held before events overtook us. I shan't crow too loudly, though. I don't want the powers that be to make us go through it again.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2018, 01:14

"No, thank the Lord," agreed Algy fervently. "Although I'm out of it for a while. Trouble is, they want to send me home when I do leave here. To recuperate in peace and quiet. They obviously don't know my mother."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2018, 01:24

'Why don't you stay with the farmer next door to us,' Biggles suggested. 'Fresh air in the country and all that. We can fetch you over every day and return you at night.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2018, 01:29

"That's a good idea," Algy enthused. "She's an excellent cook, is Mrs Barrow, even with rationing in place."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2018, 16:21

And that was what they did.

All the pilots passed their medical without problem the second time around, Doc Lorton having confiscated Bertie's monocle for a couple of days to give his eyes time to re-adjust to life without it. Algy, forced to walk from the farm to the Mess and back again several times a day, also regained his customary fitness and passed his medical a couple of weeks later. Aside from a tendency of all involved to have very vivid dreams, there were no long term effects from the substance in the coconut pyramids but the MOD continued researching it until the end of the war, and, perhaps, beyond. It was so nearly a perfect weapon. The Sports Day was not re-scheduled, a decision taken by the Powers That Be. Winning rugby teams which included an undersized Squadron Leader, a one eyed Adjutant, an ageing Medical Officer and a WAAF did not portray the image the RAF wished. Another one was held at a later date, which 666 Squadron were not invited to attend. This pleased Biggles and his pilots very much, who had all returned to their normal, slothful ways with a sigh of thankfulness once their medicals were signed off.

The End
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2018, 16:38

Kismet wrote:And that was what they did.

All the pilots passed their medical without problem the second time around, Doc Lorton having confiscated Bertie's monocle for a couple of days to give his eyes time to re-adjust to life without it. Algy, forced to walk from the farm to the Mess and back again several times a day, also regained his customary fitness and passed his medical a couple of weeks later. Aside from a tendency of all involved to have very vivid dreams, there were no long term effects from the substance in the coconut pyramids but the MOD continued researching it until the end of the war, and, perhaps, beyond. It was so nearly a perfect weapon. The Sports Day was not re-scheduled, a decision taken by the Powers That Be. Winning rugby teams which included an undersized Squadron Leader, a one eyed Adjutant, an ageing Medical Officer and a WAAF did not portray the image the RAF wished. Another one was held at a later date, which 666 Squadron were not invited to attend. This pleased Biggles and his pilots very much, who had all returned to their normal, slothful ways with a sigh of thankfulness once their medicals were signed off.

The End

Lovely ending, Kismet. I particularly like the undersized Squadron Leader.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Mar 2018, 17:03

Me too. Well done.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Previous

Return to Old RPGs