What sort of an Honourable is Algy?

About the forum, Captain W.E. Johns and Biggles. Including samples of WEJ writing

Re: What sort of an Honourable is Algy?

Postby Tracer » 04 Feb 2018, 11:06

Yes, I agree - even now, one would hesitate to describe oneself as being "really rather good" at anything.

Tricky at job interviews!
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Babanango » 05 Feb 2018, 03:48

Tracer wrote:Yes, I agree - even now, one would hesitate to describe oneself as being "really rather good" at anything.

Tricky at job interviews!

Here in the States, if you don't describe yourself as "the best" at everything and able to walk on water, you don't get the job. It's a chore for those of us who had to work in HR, sorting all those "outstanding" CVs into "poor", "mediocre", and "possible candidate".
“Never play your trump cards too soon. No, by Jove!”
Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Terai
Reading now: Mystic Voices
Reading next: ?
My top chap: Dickpa
Aircraft: P-40B Tomahawk

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 05 Feb 2018, 07:44

Thank you for this, Kismet. It's really interesting and informative and I find myself tending to agree with the conclusions you've drawn from your research. I've often wanted to nail this myself, so thanks again for saving me the time and effort :D :thumbsup2:

Regarding the use of the term "Honourable" - in the Australian political scene (which uses the Westminster system of government) the serving Prime Minister is entitled to be referred to/introduced as the "The Right Honourable...Title...First name...Surname." But he/she would be addressed as "Mr/Mrs/Ms Joe/Jane Blow" or "Prime Minister." Former PM's are simply "former PM...name" or "name...the former PM" (if we're feeling polite... :roll: ). See the following from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_Honourable:

"In Australia some Premiers of the Australian colonies in the 19th century were appointed members of HM Privy Council and were thus entitled to be called The Right Honourable. After federation in 1901, the Governor-General, the Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, the Prime Minister and some other senior ministers held the title.

In 1972 Labor Prime Minister Gough Whitlam declined appointment to the Privy Council. The practice was resumed by Malcolm Fraser in 1975, but Bob Hawke declined the appointment in 1983. The last Governor-General to be entitled to the style was Sir Ninian Stephen. The last politician to be entitled to the style was Ian Sinclair, who retired in 1998. In 2001, Sir Robert May was elevated to the UK peerage as Baron May of Oxford, which carries with it the style The Right Honourable.

Australians holding certain hereditary peerages in the grades of Baron, Viscount and Earl also use the Right Honourable title. The Lord Mayors of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane,[22] Perth, Adelaide and Hobart are styled the Rt Hon. The style (which has no connection with the Privy Council) attaches to the title of Lord Mayor, not to their names, and is relinquished upon leaving office."

A comprehensive guide, should anyone wish to familiarise themselves with Aussie protocol - on the off-chance that when you visit, you might get an invite to Yarralumla (Governor General's Canberra residence), The Lodge (PM's Canberra residence) or any of the Federal or State Government Houses or State Premiers for a cuppa - this nifty guide will give you all the gen you need:
https://www.premiers.qld.gov.au/publications/categories/policies-and-codes/assets/att1-forms-of-address.pdf

Personally, I'd be more over the moon to have a cuppa with Bertie and Algy than with any of the above :D
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on 05 Feb 2018, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 05 Feb 2018, 09:55

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Personally, I'd be more over the moon to have a cuppa with Bertie and Algy than with any of the above :D

Oh, me too.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tommy Smith » 06 Feb 2018, 18:40

https://archive.org/stream/countyfamili ... 0/mode/2up
Walford's County Families of the United Kingdom. 1919.

Alas no Lissies, Bigglesworths or Laceys. Wilks may be there though.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 06 Feb 2018, 19:36

This is rather fascinating. I noticed that Mahoney was an entry (and Irish: I think of him as Irish so that's gratifying) whilst looking for my maiden name, which, disappointingly, isn't in. My married name is in, and in the right part of the country, but I suspect that any connection is rather distant.

We have McLaren but not Mullen.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tracer » 07 Feb 2018, 11:14

Fairblue wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:

Oh, me too.

Me three :cheers:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Previous

Return to About