Yet Another Biggles Site (YABS)

Interesting links, please add your own

Re: Yet Another Biggles Site (YABS)

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 13:14

Yes I agree with that - I am sure his mother quite despaired of him when he was in his teens :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby AusterAutocrat » 13 Jun 2014, 13:23

SA, Soppy, come and help me! They're getting nasty... :sos:

Now you really can't say anything against Algy's appearance. Seen as how his hair is perfect anyway, its not being 'flat' makes no difference. His personality and his appearance go together. He isn't fussy about artificial things. Algy is no dandy; he's a tough one.

But he's also very nice. Algy does have charm and manners - you just need to notice them. He is loyal and thoughtful. AND he is the best looking chap imaginable.

:iheartalgy:

P.S. Imagine Steve's reaction when he returns to this thread about YABS... :arghijacked:
‘Is Algy back?’
‘Yes; he was in the Mess having his dinner when I came out. He said something about not letting stray Huns interfere with his meals.’
‘He wouldn’t,’ replied Biggles bitterly.
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: The Honourable A. M. Lacey
Starsign: Can I say 'Algy'? ;)
Aircraft: Guess...
Random: ACCOUNT TEMPORARILY INACTIVE

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 13:32

Well WEJ does not describe him as having charm and manners as such - he makes him far more light hearted in the earlier books. Biggles says he never could behave like a gentleman even in the Mess and he teases him about his table manners too. We are not being nasty about Algy at all just commenting on the way WEJ described him :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby AusterAutocrat » 13 Jun 2014, 14:10

Ok, ok :roll:

All I'm saying is that Algy is no pedantic softie... which is a good thing, riigghht? ( :roll: again)

And WEJ, as much as I respect him, missed out some important details ;)
‘Is Algy back?’
‘Yes; he was in the Mess having his dinner when I came out. He said something about not letting stray Huns interfere with his meals.’
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 14:17

WEJ did miss out some very important details about all the team. I still want to know why crying women were "more Algy's thing" in Flies Again when it has never been mentioned before or since that Algy was a "ladies man". There are so few descriptions of the team that it is very hard to visualise them as they matured.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 13 Jun 2014, 14:28

Jenny wrote:WEJ did miss out some very important details about all the team. I still want to know why crying women were "more Algy's thing" in Flies Again when it has never been mentioned before or since that Algy was a "ladies man". There are so few descriptions of the team that it is very hard to visualise them as they matured.

WEJ wrote what was appropriate at the time for the story he had in mind. Whether or not Algy was a" ladies man" was not really pertinent to anything in the future involving Algy, so it was not afterwards mentioned. Also, he probably liked the reader to visualise the characters for themselves.
Last edited by Fairblue on 13 Jun 2014, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 14:31

Yes I am sure he did want us to visualise the characters ourselves - he definitely did not want us to know them from the illustrations as they are so different in every book and even in the same book the characters look completely different and they are dressed in different sometimes entirely inappropriate clothes. If Algy had been a "ladies man" or some such it would surely have cropped up in other books. As we have said before Biggles seemed to know absolutely nothing about wooing ladies and giving them compliments, flowers and presents - mind you the same could be said of most of the male population :?
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 13 Jun 2014, 14:36

Jenny wrote:Yes I am sure he did want us to visualise the characters ourselves - he definitely did not want us to know them from the illustrations as they are so different in every book and even in the same book the characters look completely different and they are dressed in different sometimes entirely inappropriate clothes. If Algy had been a "ladies man" or some such it would surely have cropped up in other books. As we have said before Biggles seemed to know absolutely nothing about wooing ladies and giving them compliments, flowers and presents - mind you the same could be said of most of the male population :?

I'm not sure how much input WEJ had over the illustrations or whether the publisher got involved. Maybe someone more knowledgable can enlighten me. I don't see why Algy might not have been a "ladies man" just because it didn't crop up in later books. The plot didn't call for it, that's all.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 13 Jun 2014, 14:43

Computer say:
nog entwined stein

Like this one Fairblue.

About giving someone flowers. Biggles' specific objection was that she had a garden full of flowers so why would you give more to her? Not why would you give someone flowers. City dweller (no garden) doesn't understand.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 14:44

Well we will never know what WEJ intended in that regard as it was never mentioned - perhaps he had a string of girlfriends and many sisters as the RPGs imply - he certainly had a life away from Biggles if he was a tennis champion before the War and Biggles knew nothing about it so it is quite possible that he had girlfriends when he was playing tennis in the South Of France. My only problem with these ideas is that WEJ usually gave the impression that Biggles and Algy were business partners and best friends who lived together and spent most of their time together. WEJ certainly gave Algy a very different life away from Biggles in one book.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 14:47

I was not going to mention that strange phrase Kismet - it has me totally baffled.

As far as flowers are concerned I do not think Biggles quite understood the idea of giving a lady flowers at all. Ginger probably thought it was appropriate to give girls coal from the mines.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 14:48

Thinking about it in a mining village in the 1930s something practical like that wold mean a lot more than flowers ;)
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 13 Jun 2014, 14:51

Jenny wrote:I was not going to mention that strange phrase Kismet - it has me totally baffled.

Hmmph! It is corrected now and I thought I'd done it before anyone spotted it!
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 14:54

It is very difficult if you get interrupted when you are trying to post. Talking of illustrations and descriptions there are a lot of illustrations in the Just William books which are very good but sometimes William is described as dark and at others he has carroty hair which begs the question of what colour was Ginger's hair in the books?
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Kismet » 13 Jun 2014, 14:58

Jenny wrote:I was not going to mention that strange phrase Kismet - it has me totally baffled.

As far as flowers are concerned I do not think Biggles quite understood the idea of giving a lady flowers at all. Ginger probably thought it was appropriate to give girls coal from the mines.

You've got me thinking now Jenny.

Biggles has good manners and we've discussed on previous threads how men can have theoretical knowledge of what to do in certain situations, if not practical knowledge, due to their upbringing (standing when a lady enters the room, raising their hat etc).

It was (still is) good manners to give your host or hostess a gift for inviting you to a dinner party or having you to stay overnight and flowers are an acceptable gift for a hostess. This is general etiquette, not something esoteric.

I think Biggles would have knowledge of certain circumstances when it would be acceptable to give flowers, even if he had never done so.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 15:02

Yes that is a very good point Kismet. He would certainly know about standing up when a woman enters the room and raising his hat to a lady - I hope he taught Ginger too as I am sure that sort of thing did not arise in Smettleworth. There is another old tradition of courtesy - standing still and removing your hat when a hearse goes by which my husband still observes and as we live in the next road to a Crematorium we see quite a few funerals going past.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Kismet » 13 Jun 2014, 15:07

Opening doors for a lady, buying the drinks in mixed company, carrying things for a lady.

I'm rather glad I live now.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 Jun 2014, 15:09

In the story about the emeralds being smuggled in with chewing gum, Biggles again admits his ignorance in matters of buying things for girlfriends. I think he says "Not having any girlfriends, I wouldn't know" or something.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 Jun 2014, 15:12

Kismet wrote:Opening doors for a lady, buying the drinks in mixed company, carrying things for a lady.

Although, the other day, I was struggling through with child and groceries and had my hands very full and I had to ask for the man standing idly by the door and playing on his iPhone if he would open the door for me. He seemed quite shocked. :evil:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Kismet » 13 Jun 2014, 15:17

That's bad manners. I like that it is now good manners for anyone to open a door for someone that needs it, not gender specific door opening.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby AusterAutocrat » 13 Jun 2014, 15:17

kylie_koyote wrote:
Kismet wrote:Opening doors for a lady, buying the drinks in mixed company, carrying things for a lady.

Although, the other day, I was struggling through with child and groceries and had my hands very full and I had to ask for the man standing idly by the door and playing on his iPhone if he would open the door for me. He seemed quite shocked. :evil:

That's terrible, but it's a sad normality :(
Men no longer give way for women and children on crowded trains. I've often stood up on fairly long journeys with plenty of chaps sitting down :nono:

(That's just my experience. Perhaps I've missed the point...)
‘Is Algy back?’
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Inactive User 171 » 13 Jun 2014, 15:39

Back to topic. I have just looked at the YABS site and as always they have & Co. as one of their top ten.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby tiffinata » 14 Jun 2014, 07:23

Jenny wrote: There is another old tradition of courtesy - standing still and removing your hat when a hearse goes by which my husband still observes and as we live in the next road to a Crematorium we see quite a few funerals going past.

I worked at a crematorium for a while. The old fellows taught us that this HAD to be done. We had a list each morning so we knew when someone was arriving and could choose to make ourselves scarce (management's preference) or stand with hat off and head bowed if we were in the area.

We sometimes walk around to get takeaway from the local Chinese place. There is one person who is there who slams the door in my face when I am struggling with the pram. Unfortunately he is the owner and an arrogant *****. I have asked him a couple of times asking him why he was so rude. Won't get through to him because I have been told he doesn't speak English.
I'm looking for somewhere else to get our takeaway.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 14 Jun 2014, 08:25

AusterAutocrat wrote:...That's terrible, but it's a sad normality :(
Men no longer give way for women and children on crowded trains. I've often stood up on fairly long journeys with plenty of chaps sitting down :nono:
(That's just my experience. Perhaps I've missed the point...)

I very rarely catch public transport these days into our city [but used to 30 yrs ago when I worked there] & recently Mrs OzB & I caught a bus in to our Performing Arts Centre to see a concert or theatre show [I think it was the Rocky Horror stage show re-vamp...pun intended. ;) :whipgirrl: ]. It had been many yrs since I was on a bus, & on the way home about 10.30pm I got the shock of my life when 2 young foreign students offered their seats to both of us.

I wasn't shocked because they offered the seats [a nice gesture], but the fact that they thought we were middle-aged, infirm or 'elderly'... :o :shock: :evil:
Ok, so maybe we were the only ones who got on the bus who were over 30 AND who did not have iPod 'thingies' in their ears. :sigh2:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Fairblue » 14 Jun 2014, 08:28

OzBiggles1963 wrote:Ok, so maybe we were the only ones who got on the bus who were over 30 AND who did not have iPod 'thingies' in their ears. :sigh2:

That would be the giveaway OzB. :lol:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby von Zoyton » 16 Jun 2014, 21:17

isambard wrote:YABS administrator here

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

DrBiggles - Biggles.info
James - Biggles Online
now Steve - YABS

We are not worthy!
Quick! Untie us before they realise you're not a God, you're just an American. (From that film!)

--

My webdesign: http://www.greylizardwebdesign.co.uk/
My creative stuff: http://www.justintuijl.com/
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby AusterAutocrat » 16 Jun 2014, 22:15

von Zoyton wrote:
isambard wrote:YABS administrator here

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

DrBiggles - Biggles.info
James - Biggles Online
now Steve - YABS

We are not worthy!

Sorry, it needs a little something...

von Zoyton, SopwithCamel and the crew - Biggles Forum

:thanks:

Now THAT's a fine list! We are so so fortunate to have all these lovely Bigglesy places to go :D

(Btw, does YABS Steve - 'isambard' - have two accounts now, or is it a different 'SteveB' who's just registered...?)
‘Is Algy back?’
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Inactive User 171 » 17 Jun 2014, 07:59

I think it is a different person but I am not sure.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 18 Apr 2018, 12:29

Found this link which gives a list of the aircraft used in the Biggles books

http://biggles.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Aircraft
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Previous

Return to Links