Operation Easter Bunny

Members writing in the style and using the characters of W.E.J. (Fan Fiction)

Operation Easter Bunny

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 09:01

:easterhappy:
This is my second attempt at a fanfic. A completely different style from my first?!
It was supposed to be an Easter story, but Real Life got in the way.
Read it if you have the time, and please be nice :happybunny2: :agiggle:

(I'm trying to learn so comments welcome :D )

Operation Easter Bunny

Spring was in the air. But the atmosphere in the large stately office at Wilhelmstraße was distinctly frosty after many hours of deliberation. Several men, representatives of all the branches of the Wehrmacht, had gathered for what could well prove to be the preparations for the final battle.

A key operation was being carefully planned. The object was to get intelligence gathered by German agents out of Britain. It would be difficult, but it was crucial. The men in the room contributed, with varying degrees of usefulness, to the process. All of them were, by necessity, promoting the use of their own operatives. Thus, hopefully, ensuring their own future glory.

Von Stalhein's name had been mentioned several times, with reference to the Sterne/El Shereef operation. He had, for a long time, shown himself invaluable in wars fought with lies and deceit. Not all were in agreement however, there were voices of decent. An arrogant voice rose over the growing din of heated conversations:

"but that was a long time ago, and it was ultimately a failure. An operation of this magnitude should be given to someone with an impeccable track record. ... Not to someone who has failed us repeatedly."

A bold, antagonistic statement that caused both dark mutterings and murmurings of agreement. Again there was heated discussion. They all had their own agenda. Von Stalhein suited some of them, but others not so much.

The argumentation was cut short by an authoritative voice:

"Von Stalhein has served the Vaterland well for many years. This will be his chance to redeem himself."

"Jawohl Herr Oberst!" was uttered by several voices, some sounding more reluctant than others.

A distinct "idioten!" could be heard, but the speaker (whoever it was) was quickly silenced by several harsh voices.

The uniformed man barked to a man standing by the door:

"Fähnrich, send for Hauptmann von Stahlein."

It was not long before the tall sinewy elegantly dressed man appeared. His ability to always look spotless and wrinkle free was one of the things that annoyed his detractors the most. Never more so than now in the hot humid office where the oxygen ran out hours ago.

And his aristocratic bearing and violin playing did nothing to help his cause. But he still had allies.

Von Stalhein entered, and bowed to the man seated behind the massive desk. The colonel outlined the key features of the mission. The features that made Erich von Stalhein eminently suited to carry it out. He finished with:

"You are our best operative. You have rarely failed us. This mission is vital to us."

"Do I have a choice Herr Oberst?" queried von Stalhein.

"One would think that after your latest failure you would be eager to prove your ability to serve our country". The tone was cold, the threat barely concealed.

Von Stahlein clicked his heels together and bowed stiffly from the waist. He would not fail. Unternehmen Osterhase would not fail. He knew this because he had access to information that told him that the tiresome Bigglesworth and his band of merry men would not meddle this time. Honourable Lacy's mother had called on all of them to answer for the unfortunate damage done to her prizewinning begonias. It had nothing to do with them of course. As he left the room he smiled coldly, in an odd way he would enjoy this.

TBC
Last edited by HostileCacti on 17 Apr 2018, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Pigs can fly
Reading now: Biggles and the Pirate Treasure
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Random: Tea & biscuits

Re: Operation Easter Bunny

Postby Tracer » 16 Apr 2018, 10:41

A powerful start. I particularly like this: His ability to always look spotless and wrinkle free was one of the things that annoyed his detractors the most. Never more so than now in the hot humid office where the oxygen ran out hours ago.

It's very professional the way you leaven the serious nature of the base storyline with something lighter - in this case the Lacey begonias.

Take care with your spellcheck ;)

Looking forward to the following episodes.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2018, 11:16

Oh it's ready! I'm excited!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2018, 11:20

This has a really promising start. I'm looking forward to the rest of this. I'm almost but not quite, feeling sorry for EVS, because we know he's going to lose.

He is going to lose, isn't he?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 11:35

Thank you Tracer!! :aflower:

Tracer wrote:Take care with your spellcheck ;)

Very ominous :twisted: sounding..... I'll do my best!
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 11:38

Fairblue wrote:This has a really promising start. I'm looking forward to the rest of this. I'm almost but not quite, feeling sorry for EVS, because we know he's going to lose.

He is going to lose, isn't he?

:devil2: :aangel:

I hope it's ready KK, I still feel a bit jumpy...... :lol:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2018, 11:47

Jumpy? Bunny? :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2018, 12:52

This is a very promising start, hc. You've given us the background we need very deftly. It's neither over-explained nor so sketchy that I'm not sure what is happening. I like your descriptions and the touches of humour both with the begonias and the title itself. I look forward to the next part.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 13:04

Thank you, you are all so very kind :love:

I have worked a lot on this :writing: since everyone else write such good stories!! :thumbsup2:

But I know the story is a bit .... weak in some places :chapdoh:

Time for one more instalment.... :nailbiting:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 13:10

Von Stalhein was an old hand at undercover work and he knew that a rational and efficient plan was vital for a successful operation. Luckily, this time he was not hampered by inept superiors or disloyal subordinates. For the first time he was to operate independently on a mission. That he was successful was essential. He could not fail his country. Not again.

The trip from Berlin to England had by necessity been both tedious and troublesome. A U-Boot was not his favoured means of travel. It was hard to travel in a civilised way in the cramped accommodation provided. The acoustics were also less than favourable. But travelling was no reason to look less than impeccable, or be less than efficient he thought.

As he went through his plans and various maps he thought that it was slightly ominous that the Wehrmacht agent had selected Mount Street Gardens as the pickup point for the intel. But von Stalhein was not superstitious. Besides Bigglesworth was busy playing gardener at Merioneth Towers. He smirked cynically. Relatives can be useful, or annoying.

Von Stalhein had been careful not to discuss his plans, or his preparations. Citing recent worrying information leaks as the reason when being queried. He had not even talked over his plans with his close associates. He smiled slightly as he imagined what Werner's face would have looked like if he had told him that he would go undercover as the Easter Bunny. Even if some may believe so von Stalhein was not devoid of either humour or imagination.

TBC
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2018, 14:56

:happybunny:

I can't wait for the rest.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2018, 15:07

kylie_koyote wrote::happybunny:

I can't wait for the rest.

Me,neither. Easter bunny! What a delightful disguise.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Foolscap » 16 Apr 2018, 15:30

I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next. You have set the scene very well, and EVS’s point of view is an intriguing one:-)
"If you're going to leave the beaten track the first thing is to make sure you've got your sense of humour with you."
--Biggles on Mystery Island.
Foolscap
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2018, 15:44

I have a smile on my face, hc. Von Stalhein as the Easter bunny is a treat I didn't expect to come my way.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 20:47

Von Stalhein had spent his time well. All preparations had been as carefully planned and executed as time had allowed. And when the U-Boot surfaced on a dark moonless night he was ready to clamber into the rubber dinghy that was already floating silently on the surface of the cold dark water.

He was carrying a small sack and was dressed as one seriously giant bunny. He looked around. His nose twitching anxiously. He had perfected the nose twitch as a young boy in Preußen. The young boy was long since gone. But the nose twitching skills remained.* The anxiety he now felt appeared to be an unfortunate and unexpected side effect of the disguise he was wearing. He was annoyed with himself for not calculating with this but he brushed the thought aside. His training was thorough and he would deal with Rabbit Anxiety as he dealt with everything else: efficiently.

Footnote:
Erich had learned this rare skill because one his father's friends had a young child who was very ill. The little girl loved bunnies and young Erich had spent hours at her bedside learning to twitch his nose like a bunny to amuse her. The child had died but the skills acquired through months of practice remained.

TBC
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2018, 21:04

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my goodness.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2018, 21:15

A glorious update. Rabbit Anxiety and nose twitching. You are making me happy, hc.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Apr 2018, 21:17

:happybunny2:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Apr 2018, 22:47

Oh, this is wonderful, HC. I am really enjoying "seeing things" through Erich's eyes. Such lovely light touches with the Easter bunny and the twitch. Looking forward to the next update :claphappy: :thumbsup2:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2018, 23:46

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Oh, this is wonderful, HC. I am really enjoying "seeing things" through Erich's eyes. Such lovely light touches with the Easter bunny and the twitch. Looking forward to the next update :claphappy: :thumbsup2:

Oh, yes, definitely. This is a real treat indeed.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 17 Apr 2018, 03:12

Kismet wrote:I have a smile on my face, hc. Von Stalhein as the Easter bunny is a treat I didn't expect to come my way.

Chuckling away madly here...I've never seen an Easter bunny wearing a monocle & carrying a long cigarette holder between his teeth, lol. [I have a mental image now] :lol:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby HostileCacti » 17 Apr 2018, 07:57

OzBiggles1963 wrote: [I have a mental image now] :lol:

A mental image was how this started. I wasn't getting enough sleep and I was eating sugar to stay awake and .... there it was: a vision of EvS as the Easter bunny :happybunny2:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby HostileCacti » 17 Apr 2018, 07:59

Kismet wrote:A glorious update. Rabbit Anxiety and nose twitching. You are making me happy, hc.

I'm glad, I mostly seem to confuse people :lol:

Thank you all for your kind comments :D :love:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby HostileCacti » 17 Apr 2018, 08:04

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Oh, this is wonderful, HC. I am really enjoying "seeing things" through Erich's eyes.:

Thank you :D I wasn't sure how people would react to this "EvS-centred" :monocle: story, but somehow he speaks to me :crazy: :sos:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby HostileCacti » 17 Apr 2018, 08:10

The night was eerily silent, the only sound being the slight ripple on the surface of the water from the expertly handled paddles. The trip was uneventful and he could soon put his paws on English soil. He shuddered slightly as he did so.

He preferred working alone since he could not muster the sort of men Bigglesworth had assembled. And on this particular mission, he was finally allowed to do so.

So after a substantial amount of carrots had been carried ashore the crew of the dinghy returned to the U-Boot, leaving von Stalhein alone on a small sandy beach, surrounded by cliffs. He was not visible from land due to overhanging cliffs and a big rock obscured his presence to anybody who might be watching from the water. But still he sniffed the air anxiously for possible dangers. The smell of fox startled him, but his rational side told him that his size protected him from that kind of predator.

To pass the time until his pickup he took out a small mirror. It was primarily a shaving mirror but it could double as a signalling device. As he studied his quivering whiskers in the mirror he realised he would not need to trouble himself with shaving for some time. He carefully studied his disguise as well as he could to ascertain it was all in place. Then he smiled. Yes, he had done well. Exceedingly well. The gleaming fur was clean and in its proper place. He was a very neat and handsome bunny. If he may be so bold as to say so himself. And since there was nobody else around to admire his mad skills, he decided to be so bold.

It really was a disguise to be proud of. It was en paar with his best past performances.
"But best of all no Bigglesworth!"
His usually so suave and commanding tone of voice came out frightfully thin and squeaky. He thought it best to keep speaking to an absolute minimum.

TBC
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Apr 2018, 11:20

HostileCacti wrote:. The gleaming fur was clean and in its proper place. He was a very neat and handsome bunny. If he may be so bold as to say so himself. And since there was nobody else around to admire his mad skills, he decided to be so bold.

It really was a disguise to be proud of. It was en paar with his best past performances.
"But best of all no Bigglesworth!"
His usually so suave and commanding tone of voice came out frightfully thin and squeaky. He thought it best to keep speaking to an absolute minimum.

TBC

Oh this is stellar. :lol:
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 17 Apr 2018, 12:01

The smell of fox startled him, but his rational side told him that his size protected him from that kind of predator.

This made me laugh.

Keep it coming, hc. This is fun.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Foolscap » 17 Apr 2018, 12:29

Such a great image:-)
Does Erich/ bunny happen to have a pocket watch?
"If you're going to leave the beaten track the first thing is to make sure you've got your sense of humour with you."
--Biggles on Mystery Island.
Foolscap
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Fairblue » 17 Apr 2018, 12:37

Does Erich/ bunny happen to have a pocket watch?[/quote]

Oh, yes.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby HostileCacti » 17 Apr 2018, 12:56

You'll soon find out whether Erich is that kind of bunny! :snigger:
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Next

Return to Writing W.E.J. style