Page 12 of 12

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 16:53
by Frecks
That is good news FB. I just hope the weather has improved by then.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 16:56
by Fairblue
Frecks wrote:That is good news FB. I just hope the weather has improved by then.

After my experience getting across to Kismet I'm sure it will be a breeze going down to London. One train there and one back, no changes, no worrying about missing connections.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 22:36
by Spitfire666
Fairblue wrote: :dancingbananas: :woohodance: I have today booked my travel and hotel. Now I can start getting all excited.

Yay| Looking forward to seeing you FB! :bananadevil: :woohodance: :pianonana:

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 09:23
by Spitfire666
I have just had an idea. I would like to make a slide show of pictures showing one of our Group Builds. This being the Centenary year of the RAF, the 2016 Group Build would be most appropriate. I am therefore asking all those concerned if I may use your photoes in this way. I am always fascinated by the care and ingenuity that goes into these beautiful models and I am sure folk at Twyford who are not on this Forum will be amazed at what can be done.
So, VV, Wanderer, Babs, 266, Archie and Tiff, may I use your pictures for this? Archie, did you ever finish your S.E.5a?

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 09:51
by tiffinata
Ok with me

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 13:00
by Fairblue
Spitfire666 wrote:I have just had an idea. I would like to make a slide show of pictures showing one of our Group Builds. This being the Centenary year of the RAF, the 2016 Group Build would be most appropriate. I am therefore asking all those concerned if I may use your photoes in this way. I am always fascinated by the care and ingenuity that goes into these beautiful models and I am sure folk at Twyford who are not on this Forum will be amazed at what can be done.
So, VV, Wanderer, Babs, 266, Archie and Tiff, may I use your pictures for this? Archie, did you ever finish your S.E.5a?

That is an excellent idea, S666. Something different.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 23:41
by Wanderer
No problems here. I hope to post a picture of the finished Spitfire later today, though as I am about to be away for a fortnight I don't think I will have Bertie adequately painted to be part of the "build".

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 18:05
by Spitfire666
Wanderer wrote:No problems here. I hope to post a picture of the finished Spitfire later today, though as I am about to be away for a fortnight I don't think I will have Bertie adequately painted to be part of the "build".

That's great Wanderer.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 19:59
by Biggles266
Hi all

I am looking forward to meeting those in the Forum attending Twyford this year.

Some quick information required:
What train do I take from London (and which station would probably help)?
How long will it take?
Is there a taxi service in Twyford?

Thanks
Traveller from the Antipodes (Biggles266)

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 20:10
by Spitfire666
Biggles266 wrote:Hi all

I am looking forward to meeting those in the Forum attending Twyford this year.

Some quick information required:
What train do I take from London (and which station would probably help)?
How long will it take?
Is there a taxi service in Twyford?

Thanks
Traveller from the Antipodes (Biggles266)

Hooray! That's great, and I very much look forward to seeing you there. There is a direct train from Paddington to Twyford that takes 48 mins. It only takes a few minutes to walk from the station. I will check about a taxi service and get back to you. Twyford is a very small place.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 14:53
by kylie_koyote
Today I mailed off my frame mat to Fairblue.

If you're going to be at the Twyford meeting, and you haven't already signed it, please do! Even lurkers or non-members! I love adding to it and I will post a photo of it when I get it back in July.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 00:03
by archie
S666, you're more than welcome to use my photos, but don't expect me to add to them as the SE5a is still on top of the wardrobe in much the same state. I can only hope Wilks isn't in too much of a hurry for it...

Biggles266, I will have a car-load of people and books on the way to Twyford but once I've dumped them at the hall I can fetch you from Twyford station if that's any help.

Must remember to put my booking form in now... :roll:

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 00:13
by Biggles266
Thanks Archie
As it's not far I'll probably walk but thanks for the offer.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 10:13
by Fairblue
Only two more days before I travel down to London to catch up with S666, archie and Lycaea for the Twyford meeting on Saturday. Getting a bit excited now. :bounce:

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 10:31
by StoneRoad
Was hoping to make a late entry for this, but I can't, there is a prior task that can't be swerved.
Everybody have a good time !

The prior arrangements include helping to steward a long distance special train, and associated events ...

<snip>Traditional Snowdonian. Friday evening tour of Boston Lodge at 1645. Saturday approx departure 0845 return 1815. Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog -Caernarfon - Porthmadog. Breakfast & Tea on Train. Lunch at the Snowdonia Parc in Waunfawr. Locomotives will be 'Linda' and 'Blanche' on the Ffestiniog Railway, and double-headed Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway.<snip>

Mostly I'll be acting as a runner, extra pair of hands, guide knowing answers (I hope!) and hopefully I'll get food and drink as well.
Just hope we have the quiet service car as one has a very noisy generator / fan.
I'll have the camera out as much as possible.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 10:48
by VickersVandal
By all means, please use my photos!

You're welcome to use anything from my site too if you wish.

I was wondering if this year's meeting was in July as I'll be in the U.K. but alas it's this weekend.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 11:02
by Fairblue
VickersVandal wrote:By all means, please use my photos!

You're welcome to use anything from my site too if you wish.

I was wondering if this year's meeting was in July as I'll be in the U.K. but alas it's this weekend.

There are two, VV,one held in April in Twyford, another held in Oct in Derby.

There is also an unofficial one in July when KK is coming over on her way home from Spain with her family. Tiff and her two boys, archie, S666 and myself will be at Kismet's too. It's perhaps that one you are thinking of.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 11:06
by kylie_koyote
Have a safe trip and a lovely time, and give my best to everyone.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 11:21
by Spitfire666
Fairblue wrote:Only two more days before I travel down to London to catch up with S666, archie and Lycaea for the Twyford meeting on Saturday. Getting a bit excited now. :bounce:

You're excited? I'm :banana: :bounce: :dance: :bluebounce: :woohodance:

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 11:22
by VickersVandal
Fairblue wrote:
VickersVandal wrote:By all means, please use my photos!

You're welcome to use anything from my site too if you wish.

I was wondering if this year's meeting was in July as I'll be in the U.K. but alas it's this weekend.

There are two, VV,one held in April in Twyford, another held in Oct in Derby.

There is also an unofficial one in July when KK is coming over on her way home from Spain with her family. Tiff and her two boys, archie, S666 and myself will be at Kismet's too. It's perhaps that one you are thinking of.


Thanks FB. Yes, I was getting my wires crossed :oops:

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 11:23
by Spitfire666
StoneRoad wrote:Was hoping to make a late entry for this, but I can't, there is a prior task that can't be swerved.
Everybody have a good time !

The prior arrangements include helping to steward a long distance special train, and associated events ...

<snip>Traditional Snowdonian. Friday evening tour of Boston Lodge at 1645. Saturday approx departure 0845 return 1815. Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog -Caernarfon - Porthmadog. Breakfast & Tea on Train. Lunch at the Snowdonia Parc in Waunfawr. Locomotives will be 'Linda' and 'Blanche' on the Ffestiniog Railway, and double-headed Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway.<snip>

Mostly I'll be acting as a runner, extra pair of hands, guide knowing answers (I hope!) and hopefully I'll get food and drink as well.
Just hope we have the quiet service car as one has a very noisy generator / fan.
I'll have the camera out as much as possible.

Sorry you won't be joining us, StoneRoad, but it sounds like you will have a marvellous time on the train. :D

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 11:24
by tiffinata
Excited on everyone's behalf.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 14:40
by Frecks
Me too :D I am looking forward to hearing all about the Twyford meeting. I love the idea of showing photos of the models from the Forum. I hope you all have a great time.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 16:12
by Frecks
How did the meeting go? Did you show photos of the Forum models?

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 16:27
by StoneRoad
Spitfire666 wrote:
StoneRoad wrote:Was hoping to make a late entry for this, but I can't, there is a prior task that can't be swerved.
Everybody have a good time !

The prior arrangements include helping to steward a long distance special train, and associated events ...

<snip>Traditional Snowdonian. Friday evening tour of Boston Lodge at 1645. Saturday approx departure 0845 return 1815. Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog -Caernarfon - Porthmadog. Breakfast & Tea on Train. Lunch at the Snowdonia Parc in Waunfawr. Locomotives will be 'Linda' and 'Blanche' on the Ffestiniog Railway, and double-headed Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway.<snip>

Mostly I'll be acting as a runner, extra pair of hands, guide knowing answers (I hope!) and hopefully I'll get food and drink as well.
Just hope we have the quiet service car as one has a very noisy generator / fan.
I'll have the camera out as much as possible.

Sorry you won't be joining us, StoneRoad, but it sounds like you will have a marvellous time on the train. :D


I hope your meeting was a success ... maybe next year I'll be able to join you ?
Train went very well, Thanks ! - we did get the noisier service car and there were a couple of other incidents, but overall it was great fun.
Unfortunately we needed to set off for home almost immediately the train got back, as the mother of a very close friend has died.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 17:14
by Spitfire666
Thanks, Frecks and StoneRoad. Yes, It was a good day. Among the talks we had Lycaea talking about the Swedish Biggles cover artists and John Lester with 'What happens to the Villains?' One non-Forum member (yes, there are a few!) had brought along a recording of a Biggles radio interview he gave a while back for a Glasgow station. (It was good to hear sensible comments about Johns and Biggles, so often interviews get it all wrong.) Biggles266 very kindly did the presentation on World War 1 models - :thumbup: I spoke about Biggles and my other great childhood hero Matt Braddock. We were very pleased to have organizer Joy back with us this year. (Joy has organized the meetings for nearly 30 years and last year was the first time that she had been unable to attend.) I handle the programme and Joy does everything else. Joy gave a talk about our heroes' mothers, or the lack thereof :P and Richard asked 'Whodunnit?' There were also the usual quiz to which I actually knew some of the answers :lol: and raffle and a puzzle. Joy had worked her usual magic and produced a lovely sunny day for us after all the dismal and cold weather we had had.
2816 This is the cake we had to celebrate the RAF's Centenary - sorry for my inexpert picture that cut off the heading!

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 18:12
by kylie_koyote
That sounds like a fantastic day! I'm quite envious.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 19:30
by Frecks
Very interesting topics. As far as I know Algy was the only member of the team whose mother was mentioned in the books as being alive and well and rather interfering :lol: I was wondering if Biggles 266 had made it to the meeting.

Re: Twyford Meeting

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 19:37
by Spitfire666
Frecks wrote:Very interesting topics. As far as I know Algy was the only member of the team whose mother was mentioned in the books as being alive and well and rather interfering :lol: I was wondering if Biggles 266 had made it to the meeting.

Joy was talking about other mothers as well.
Yes, it was great to see Biggles266 - we all enjoyed meeting with him. :cheers: