Twyford Meeting

Events, meets, museums, places to go, please add your own suggestions

Re: Twyford Meeting

Postby tiffinata » 03 Apr 2016, 22:57

kylie_koyote wrote:
Simon Templar wrote:Aha, thank you for explaining! I'd be honoured

ST, any chance that you can join us all in July?

I second that!
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Kismet » 03 Apr 2016, 23:50

Thirded.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Frecks » 08 Apr 2016, 19:03

Is everything set up for the meeting? Has Babs landed in the UK yet? I hope you all have a great day and I am looking forward to reading all about it and hopefully seeing some photos as well.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Apr 2016, 20:21

I hope everyone has a marvelous time. I will be with you in spirit. Raise a glass of lemonade for me! :cheers:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby tiffinata » 08 Apr 2016, 23:14

How could it not be a good day when like minded people are together?
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Babanango » 14 Apr 2016, 20:11

I thought the meeting went well. It was good to meet people who have until now just had noms de guerre, as well as many others who aren't on the forum. And we got more signatures for K_K.
“Never play your trump cards too soon. No, by Jove!”
Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Terai
Reading now: Mystic Voices
Reading next: ?
My top chap: Dickpa
Aircraft: P-40B Tomahawk

Postby Frecks » 14 Apr 2016, 20:22

I am glad you enjoyed the meeting.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Apr 2016, 00:06

Babanango wrote:I thought the meeting went well. It was good to meet people who have until now just had noms de guerre, as well as many others who aren't on the forum. And we got more signatures for K_K.

Much obliged for signing the mat! :hellochap:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Apr 2016, 12:03

Great to know it was a good day, but as tiff says, how could it not be? :D I have wonderful memories of our Twyford visit four years ago and am really hoping to make it over for at least one more. (I do think you could have all arranged to have one in PNG while we were here... :roll: :lol: )
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Spitfire666 » 26 Jan 2017, 19:23

Booking is now open for the next Biggles meeting, which will be held at Twyford, Berkshire, on Saturday 8th April. Twyford is an attractive village (with a train station) and the meeting is informal and friendly.

I would particularly love to hear from you if you would like to contribute a talk. Anyone who cannot get there but would like to contribute a paper is urged to get in touch with me. I can arrange for someone to read it for you at the meeting.

This is a great chance to meet up with other Biggles fans and natter as much as you like :thumbup: We are all enthusiasts. 8-)

Grab the form off the website. Still only £8 for the day including teas/coffees and biscuits.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 26 Jan 2017, 19:24

I will be with you in spirit, and would be interested in joining a Skype session, if there is to be one.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby tiffinata » 27 Jan 2017, 07:15

Wish I could. I did price some airfares for both this and Derby but it didn't work out.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 27 Jan 2017, 11:07

I will also be there in spirit 8-)
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby SopwithCamel » 27 Jan 2017, 11:56

Can I ask what types of talks are given? I did at some point previously think about writing up something about fanfics, but I think that's rather a touchy subject...

I do have some "discussion" type things I wrote for the old old old (several forums back) forum, but I'm not sure if they're serious enough to work.
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Indian Civil Service » 28 Jan 2017, 17:27

kylie_koyote wrote:I will be with you in spirit, and would be interested in joining a Skype session, if there is to be one.

Please count me in for a Skype session if possible as I'm not sure where I'll be...India or Canada.
What categories of papers acceptable and how long, please reveal all...
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Aesthetics in Feminist Perspectives
Reading now: All my Biggles collection (94 strong)
Reading next: All my William collection (need 1 to complete)
My top chap: Biggles and Algy and Bertie...
Starsign: Sagittarius
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel; Gnat

Postby Spitfire666 » 28 Jan 2017, 18:09

Skype session - we will try again this year. So far we have not been very successful. We usually manage to get a couple of people but not everyone. However, we will keep trying. Lycaea is the best person to contact with your Skype address and we will try to sort it out !
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 28 Jan 2017, 20:03

Regarding papers, we usually say up to about 25 minutes, but can be longer or shorter. We are open on subjects. If a subject is one you would be interested in, folk at Twyford will likely find it interesting too.

To give you some idea, DrBiggles talked about the Armada and Knight paperback editions of WEJ. Sometimes people talk about Johns' contemporaries. Last year we had “An Uncollectable Story”, which was very funny, a long joke, certainly not one for the collection! One described different methods of attempting to care for and repair his Biggles books. Another spoke on “Not Mad or Bad but Dangerous to Know”, i.e. how dangerous it was to know Biggles. Fairblue talked about Montrose, the First Military Airfield in Britain. Our forum member Duncan told how he read some Biggles stories to a class of schoolboys. I found that particularly interesting as he explained how he caught their attention and got them listening. Babanango was going to talk about a military archeological dig but got told at the last minute that he must not talk about it, so he had to give us a non-military version.
There is a description of one meeting here:
http://wejas.org.uk/Twyford2013.html

Unfortunately we have to steer clear of talking about fanfic because the copyright holders are sniffy about that.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 29 Jan 2017, 10:15

Yeah, the problem with my "discussion" things that I wrote before is that they don't have too much depth, not in the way the examples you mentioned have. :cry:

Mostly, I've found, they're about Algy :oops: I seem to remember one thing I wrote was a dissection (if that's the word) of "The Boob", something of infinite interest to me at sixteen, but unlikely to interest anyone else over that age....
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 01 Feb 2017, 12:28

Anyone who would like to discuss this further, please email or PM me and we can go into more detail.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 01 Feb 2017, 12:47

I've emailed you, S666.
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 01 Feb 2017, 13:09

It has been pointed out that 20 minutes is quite a long time. There is no reason to aim for that. I will be pleased to hear from you if you have a short item as well. There is no set time, it is up to you.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 01 Feb 2017, 17:30

You would need a lot of material to be able to speak for 20 minutes on a given subject.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 12 Apr 2017, 09:23

The meeting went off well I am happy to say! The weather was fantastic - archie got sunburnt knees sitting on a wall in the lunch hour :)
The talks were very interesting. We started off hearing about how German fighter pilot Franz Stigler saved the crew of Charlie Brown's very badly damaged allied bomber during WW2. Although I knew about this it was most movingly told and I found myself caught up in it again. Then Lycaea spoke on Biggles in Sweden and as a brand name. This was followed by Life in Outer Space, then me talking about the illustrations of the various versions of the early books. (This was largely based on the marvellous pictures that Wanderer has been sending to us.) In the afternoon we had a talk about Wilks, then 'Victor Yeates vs Bill Johns - Camels at dawn": how many have read Winged Victory? Then Ross of Barelyreadbooks spoke about Early John Hamilton and Aviation Fiction in wrappers, illustrated with a mouth watering display! We finished with Themes as used in Biggles Flies Again magazine.
After the meeting me, archie, Lycaea and Fairblue went over to Henley on Thames for a meal and a chat before making our way back home. It was great seeing them, I always feel as though I have had a week's holiday rather than one day :D

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Tracer » 12 Apr 2017, 10:18

Sounds wonderful - what a super idea to organise this. A lot of hard work no doubt went into it, to make it run so smoothly.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Frecks » 12 Apr 2017, 10:39

I am glad the meeting went well. I should think the talk based on Wanderer's photos would have been very interesting.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 12 Apr 2017, 11:12

I'm glad it went so well and I'm quite envious that you all got to see one another again.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 21 Jan 2018, 12:21

Getting near that time of year again - our Twyford meeting is on 14th April this year. I am making up the programme. Anyone who would like to be involved please let me know. If you are coming, that would be great :D Anyone who has something to say but cannot get to the meeting is welcome to contact me. I can arrange for thoughts to be relayed to the meeting for you or for a paper to be read out in your absence.

We are open as to the length of talks, depends on how much you have to say. Can be either about Biggles & Co or about peripheral characters in the stories, or places mentioned. Basically it is a wide range and anything mentioned on the Forum is likely to be of interest. (Sadly, we are still not allowed to talk about fanfic.) :writing: :help:

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 23 Jan 2018, 10:53

One day I hope to be able to attend this wonderful event again, S666. It was such fun.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jan 2018, 11:07

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:One day I hope to be able to attend this wonderful event again, S666. It was such fun.

It usually is. ;)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Fairblue » 14 Mar 2018, 16:48

:dancingbananas: :woohodance: I have today booked my travel and hotel. Now I can start getting all excited.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

PreviousNext

Return to Events